Professor of New Testament
Department: Christian Studies and Philosophy
Office: HU 128
Phone Extension: 2211
Suzanne Nicholson came to Asbury University after teaching New Testament for 16 years at Malone University in Canton, Ohio. She received her Ph.D. in New Testament Studies from the University of Durham in England, an M.Div. at Asbury Theological Seminary, and a B.A., magna cum laude, in journalism from the University of Minnesota. Dr. Nicholson is also an ordained Deacon in the United Methodist Church, where she previously served on the Board of Ordained Ministry in East Ohio. She currently serves on the Council for the Wesleyan Covenant Association, the editorial board of the Journal of Inductive Biblical Studies, and is the Assistant Lead Editor for Firebrand, a new online Wesleyan magazine. Her publications include an 8-week Bible study on Women in the New Testament for Seedbed, a chapter on Ephesians in the Wesley One Volume Commentary, and her book, Dynamic Oneness: The Significance and Flexibility of Paul’s One-God Language. She and her husband, Lee, have two college-aged children.
- Ph.D., University of Durham
- M.Div., Asbury Theological Seminary
- B.A. in journalism, magna cum laude, University of Minnesota
- Women in the New Testament. OneBook: Daily-Weekly Bible Study. Wilmore: Seedbed, forthcoming (2020).
- “Ephesians.” Chapter in The Wesley One-Volume Commentary. Nashville: Abingdon, forthcoming (March 2020).
- “Successful Transitions: The Importance of Mentoring New Faculty Members.” Co-authored with David Entwistle. In 8th Annual Mentoring Conference Proceedings: New Perspectives in Mentoring: A Quest for Leadership Excellence & Innovation. Edited by N. Dominguez and Y. Gandert. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico, 2015.
- “Mercy.” Pages 584-588 in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. Rev. Ed. Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 2013.
- Dynamic Oneness: The Significance and Flexibility of Paul’s One-God Language. Eugene, Ore.: Pickwick, 2010.
Selected Academic Presentations
- “We’ve Lost the Plot: The Need for a Return to Expository Preaching.” Paper for the Homiletics and Biblical Studies section of the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting. November 2019.
- Invited Speaker for the Chaney Lectures at Central Christian College of Kansas in McPherson, Kan., April 9-10, 2019.
- “Subverting Texts, Subverting Power: Luke’s Rewriting of Amos in Acts 15:16-17,” at the Rewriting in Luke and Acts conference in Roskilde, Denmark, June 2014.
- “Predicting Heresy: Paul’s Rationale in 1 Cor 15:24–28,” at the Society of Biblical Literature Annual Meeting, New Orleans, La., November 2009.
Other Publications & Presentations
- “New Vision for Deacons.” Good News magazine. September/ October 2020.
- “The Call to Study: Lessons in Education from the Gospels.” Firebrand. August 17, 2020. https://firebrandmag.com/articles/the-call-to-study-lessons-in-education-from-the-gospels
- “Masking Our Rights.” Firebrand. June 1, 2020. https://firebrandmag.com/articles/masking-our-rights
- “What does the Bible say about homosexuality?” Presented at the East Ohio Evangelical Fellowship/ Wesleyan Covenant Association meeting (May 2019)
- Additional articles published online for Wesleyan Accent and Catalyst