Harold Rainwater ’69, M.S.
Department: Science & Health
Phone Extension: 2259Contact Harold Rainwater
Mr. Harold Rainwater directs and manages the Equine Program within the Department of Health, Physical Education, Equine and Recreation. He has been a full-time faculty member at Asbury University since 1974. He coached and taught part-time at Asbury from 1971-1974.
Harold started the Recreation Major in 1981 and served in leadership positions within professional organizations. He was honored by those same organizations for his personal investment in them. In 1998 Harold launched the Equine Studies Program which has now grown to over 120 students in the areas of Equine Management and Equine Facilitated Wellness. He collaborates with five other faculty and instructors in leading this program.
He has worked for and helped manage two major breeding operations: Pleasant View Farm and Almahurst Farm, both Standardbred operations. He and his family have owned, trained, and shown Quarter Horses, Standardbreds, Morgan and Tennessee Walking Horses.
Harold has served on several boards and organizations in the horse industry and is certified as an instructor by OK Corral and the Christian Camp Horsemanship International (CCHI), and has been a Regional Director for CCHI since 2004. In 2007 he was nominated as one of the Top 50 Instructors by the American Riding Instructor Association.
He has served as Mayor of Wilmore since 1976 and has served on boards of various organizations of service and ministry. Harold and his wife, Shari, recently celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary. They have two children and six grandchildren, and one grandson-in-law who is now attending medical school at the University of Kentucky.
Harold grew up in Wilmore, graduated from Asbury College and Eastern Kentucky University.
- M.S. in Recreation, Eastern Kentucky University (1974)
- B.A. in Physical Education, Asbury College (1969)
- Equine Field Experience (EQM 435)
Equine Administration (EQM 320)
Farm and Ranch Management (EQM 310)
Horse Training (EQM 245)
Stable Management (EQM 202)
Horsemanship Ministry (EQM 200)
- Asbury University Alumni Award (2010)
- Past President of the Kentucky Recreation and Parks Society (KRPS, 1994)
- Recreation Professional of the Year (KRPS, 1996)
- Recreation Professional of the Year (Kentucky Association of Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, 1999)
- Recreation Professional of the Year (American Alliance of HPERD and the Southern District of AAHPERD, 2000 – Orlando, Florida)
- Christian Camp Horsemanship International (CCHI) (Certified Instructor)
- Equine Ministry International (EMI) – President