Keith A. Barker
Keith A. Barker, M.F.A.
Professor of Art and Photography
Master of Fine Arts | Photography. Savannah College of Art & Design. Aug., 2000. www.scad.edu
Bachelor of Arts | Art, Photography emphasis. Asbury College, Wilmore, KY. May, 1991. www.asbury.edu
Associate Professor Photography and Graphic Design courses taught in the Art Department. Currently serving as Department Chair. Awarded tenure status in 2009.
2000–present. | Asbury University. www.asbury.edu
Commercial Photographer In-studio and on location projects involving groups and individuals; event coverage, and institutional publicity. 1991–present.
Photographer, Designer Assistant Director of Communications in Photography and Electronic Publishing. Generated photographic images (film and digital) for hundreds of design projects, and saw many from conception to completion. 1999–2000. | Asbury Theological Seminary Communications Department. www.asburyseminary.edu
Between the Shadow and the Light - group exhibition including work generated by participants selected for R5 Visual Arts Seminar and Studio in South Africa. Exhibit travels to venues across North America from 2014 through 2017.
Process : Effect : Reconsider. Spot5 Gallery, Louisville, KY. 2013
Revelations: Interrogating the Sacred. Saint Xavier University Gallery/Beverly Art Center, Chicago, IL. Juried selection. 2013
Tributaries. Z.T. Johnson Gallery, Asbury University. Invitational Exhibit. 2013.
New Beginnings. Z.T. Johnson Gallery, Asbury University. Invitational Exhibit. 2012.
Matter Matters. Z.T. Johnson Gallery, Asbury University. Invitational Exhibit. 2011.
Presence. Asbury College Z.T. Johnson Gallery. Invitational Exhibit. 2010.
CIVA 2009 Biennial Conference Invitational. 2009.
Visual Dialogue. Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Building. Juried Selection. Lexington, KY. 2009.
Asbury College Faculty & Student Show. The Art Depository. Nicholasville, KY. 2008.
Faculty Exhibits: Asbury College. 1999 - 2009.
God With Us. Christ Church Episcopal Cathedral Gallery, Lexington, KY. Juried Selection. 2005–2006.
Sense of Otherness. savannah Gallery, Atlanta, GA. Juried Selection. 2004.
From the Glass House. The Galerie Lumière, Savannah, GA. Juried Selection. 1999.
E Pluribus Unum. Savannah College of Art and Design Graduate Student Photography Show (juried). Bergen Hall Gallery. 1997.
Silverworks 1997. Savannah College of Art and Design Photography Department juried showcase exhibit traveled to galleries in England and France. 1997.
Town: a portrait.
- Wilmore City Hall, Wilmore, KY. 2012–2013
- Asbury University Gallery, Wilmore, KY. 2012
Sacred Spaces in Central Kentucky.
- Apostles Anglican Church Gallery, Lexington, KY. 2012.
- Georgetown College Cochenour Gallery, Georgetown, KY. 2009.
- Asbury Theological Seminary, Wilmore, KY. 2012 and 2009.
- Asbury College Kinlaw Library Gallery. 2007.
French Selections: Paris & The Loire Valley. Asbury College McCreless Gallery. 2008.
Advent. St Patrick’s Church, Lexington, KY. 2005.
Six-Year Retrospective: Photographic Work. Asbury College McCreless Gallery. 2004.
Photographic Work by Keith A. Barker. Jessamine County Public Library. 2003.
Immortal, Invisible. Recent Photographic Offerings by Keith A. Barker. The Gallery at The Alternative Jewelry Shop, Nicholasville, KY. 2003.
Self-Evidence: Past, Present & Future History. M.F.A. Thesis Exhibit.
- Bergen Hall Main Gallery, Savannah College of Art and Design, Savannah, GA. 1999.
- Central Bank Galleries, Lexington, KY. 2000.
Photographic Works by Keith Barker. Senior Exhibit Merit Award winner. Asbury College. 1991.
HONORS, AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Full Professor. Asbury University. 2014.
Sabbatical leave awarded. Asbury University. 2014.
R5: A Visual Arts Seminar and Studio in South Africa - Traveling exhibition of work followed two-week traveling seminar in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa. Juried selection. June, 2013.
Tenure Status. Asbury University. 2009.
Spearheaded curricular overhaul of course offerings and requirements. Asbury University Art Department. 2012–13.
Served as juror for Pilgrimage, an exhibit of student work; executed entirely by Asbury students. 2011.
Faculty Development Grant for Art Department. 2007.
Lilly Endowment Departmental Mini-Grant (awarded through the Lilly “Transformations” Grant). Used to bring guest artist on campus. Oversaw all aspects of the grant proposal and resulting program logistics. 2005.
Faculty Research Grant. Fall, 2003, Spring, 2004.
PUBLICATION, COLLECTIONS & WRITINGS
- Somewhere Else. Article and photographs published in SEEN Journal of CIVA. June, 2014.
- Somewhere Else: South Africa. Self-published book of photographs and essay. 2013.
- Town: a portrait. Self-published book. 2013.
- Edition of one hundred prints distributed as gifts to board members and constituents. CIVA www.civa.org. 2009.
- Saint Joseph’s Jessamine Ambulatory Center. Juried selection for permanent collection. Nicholasville, KY. 2008.
- Doing Time in Sacred Spaces. CIVASeen Magazine. Fall, 2008.
- Seeing Rightly: The Arts and Spiritual Vitality. Asbury Collegian article. 2007
- University of Kentucky’s Gatton College of Business & Economics. Photography for various public relations publications and web site imagery. 2006–2009.
- Principle photography for various advertisements, promotional advancement and admissions publications. Asbury Theological Seminary. 1999–2005.
- Jessamine County Public Library. Permanent Collection. 2004.
- Silverworks. Savannah College of Art and Design Photography Department showcase publication. 1997 and 1999.
- The Georgia Guardian. Weekly newspaper serving the greater Chatham County. 1996 - 1997.
- Vocation & The Arts. Co-presenter for Scholars and Critics Track, Christians in the Visual Arts 2009 Biennial Conference. Bethel University, St Paul, MN. 2009.
- Sacred Spaces in Central Kentucky. Georgetown College, Georgetown, KY. 2009.
- Life Through the Viewfinder: Beyond the Basics. Presenter and Juror at Photography Workshop. Pennyrile State Park, Dawson Springs, KY. 2008.
- Sacred Spaces in Central Kentucky. Chapel message to student body. 2007.
- Sacred Spaces in Central Kentucky. Christians in the Visual Arts National Convention. 2007.
- Visual Arts & The Church. Panelist. Asbury Theological Seminary. 2006.
- Advent. St Patrick’s Church, Lexington, KY. 2005.
- Photography: The State of the Art. Faculty presentation. Asbury College. 2006.
- Photography and the Revelation of Our Personal Histories. Faculty presentation. Asbury College. 2003.
References and additional information are available upon request.
Keith A. Barker photographs people, places and moments that allow for an appreciation of history as well as an acknowledgement of the present. His work explores people and places that point toward stories and universal realities of life, featuring his hometown as well as locations abroad. He has also photographed in locations of spiritual significance around Kentucky, such as Cane Ridge and the Abbey of Gethsemani. Keith received his Masters of Fine Arts from Savannah College of Art and Design (2000), currently teaches Photography, and chairs the Art Department at Asbury University in Wilmore, Kentucky USA, where he lives with his wife and three children.
View more images at www.kbarkerphoto.com
©2008–2015 Keith A. Barker