Emphasis in Adventure Leadership
The Adventure Leadership emphasis within the Recreation major at Asbury is uniquely designed to allow students to remain fully immersed in the Asbury community while still receiving technical training in a large variety of field based pursuits.
- Adventure Leadership is an experiential program combining theory and practice. Theoretical courses in Experiential Education, Outdoor Education, Stewardship, and Leadership are combined with technical courses in Rock Climbing, Canoeing, Caving, Wilderness Travel, and Wilderness medicine.
- Students will receive certifications in Wilderness First Responder, Challenge Course Facilitation, and a variety of field experiences including leadership opportunities for outside groups.
- The program design is strongly experiential, giving students opportunities to lead in actual adventure education and wilderness endeavors. During their study students will participate in a block semester designed to allow complete immersion in the subject matter. This block will provide a focus on adventure leadership and small group dynamics for an entire semester consisting of field experience, certification courses, and technical skills application.
- Students interested in camp ministry, outdoor and guiding professions, wilderness therapy, experiential education, and environmental education should consider this major. Additionally, students desiring practical leadership experience should consider this minor as a suitable companion to majors in business, communications and others.
- For more information please contact Trent Ellsworth, coordinator for Adventure Programs, or call 859-858-3511 x2491.