Community Life Handbook: Residential Requirement – Asbury University
Shapemaximize playTriangle
Watch The College Tour
Contact Us

Residential Requirement

One of the distinctives of Asbury University’s heritage is its commitment to residential living for all single students. Holding the firm belief that significant learning occurs outside of the classroom, the residence life program promotes an integration of faith, learning and living which emphasizes practical preparation for life.

All single full-time students will reside in campus housing except the following, who are eligible to apply for off-campus housing:

  • Students who are classified as “Independent.” (This is a legal designation through the Financial Aid Office.)
  • Students who are 23 or older. (Married or formerly married students must receive permission from the Assistant Vice President of Student Life to live in the residence hall.)
  • Students who live with parents, close relatives, or a legal guardian.
  • Students who are working in an approved home for their room and board but who make no cash payment for said room and board.
  • Students who are fifth-year seniors.

Permission to live off-campus is not automatically granted as students must apply to the Assistant Vice President for Business Affairs for consideration. It is recommended that applications to live off campus the following fall semester be filed before the end of spring semester. All applications must be filed at least one week prior to the beginning of the academic term to avoid a late filing fee of $10. Students filing after the deadline will be charged for their room until the application is processed. Applications will be accepted only through the drop/add period. Application forms are available in the Student Accounts Office and Business Affairs Office and linked below as a PDF. A dependent student must submit a letter of support from his/her parents with his/her application.

Application to Live Off Campus

Application for Reduced Meal Plan

A student whose request is denied may appeal the decision to the Room/Board Appeals Committee to determine if extenuating circumstances warrant an exception to the guidelines. To appeal due to extenuating circumstances, a student must be in good standing (i.e., not on academic, chapel, or disciplinary probation). The letter of appeal should be sent to the chair of the Appeals Committee.

< Previous | Next >