Youth Becoming Leaders
Follow us on Instagram! @YouthBecomingLeaders
COVID-19 Updates for YBL
In the interest of caring for our people well, we have decided to rework Youth Becoming Leaders 2020 so as to not invite students, mentors, and parents to campus and risk someone contracting COVID-19. We want to appreciate the gravity of the global Pandemic and err on the side of safety, even if it means forsaking our residential program. We will not be meeting in our previously planned two-week residential format in June.
Our Plan Moving Forward
- June 15-16, accepted YBL 2020 participants will be invited to participate in a two-day live virtual conference, now titled the Youth Becoming Leaders Student Leadership Colloquium complete with 7 academic sessions taught by world-renowned faculty & staff from Asbury University and Asbury Seminary.
- Class sessions will be followed by small group workshops, where students will interact with peers across the country to work through concepts they’ve just learned!
- Student Leadership Training: We ask each student attending our virtual conference June 15-16 to work with their mentor and youth pastor to identify a small group of peers to lead through this two-day conference before the end of June. You will pick either the 3rd or 4th weekend of June, meet either in person or electronically with this small group of students and guide your group through prayers, pre-recorded classes and small group activities. YBL staff will be available by phone and email to help you during these weekends.
- Cost: We are asking that students pay $50
- Mentoring: We ask that you still meet with your mentor and go through devotions together after the YBL experience is over.
Residential Program (CANCELLED for 2020)
What You Can Expect:
- Immersion in a Christian community for worship, learning, and experiencing God
- Theological instruction from renowned Asbury University and Seminary faculty
- Experiential training in spiritual disciplines
- Training in researching and engaging significant global issues and discerning culture
- Observation and training with local ministry leaders
- Training for community action together with a mentor from your home community*
- Developing a ministry project to start in your home community
- A life changing experience
Monday, June 8 – Friday, June 19, 2020
The camp is $500 for students accepted into the 2020 program.**
Youth Becoming Leaders: High School Christian Leadership and Global Transformation Institute equips high school students for theologically guided living and decision making through immersion in Christian Scripture, theological texts, tradition, and community to lead and serve in a complex global society.
*This initiative will also include a post-residential program curriculum that includes elements to be completed with their mentor. Mentors will be brought in for the final 24 hours of the residential program for training and to refine a ministry project to be completed by the student in the months following. There will be no cost to the mentor for this trip.
**Youth Becoming Leaders requires acceptance through an application process (application coming soon) that includes; a minimum GPA of 3.3***, demonstration of leadership in the local community, reference letters, and memorizing scripture. The true cost of Youth Becoming Leaders is around $4,000 per student. Students who enroll at Asbury will also be able to receive three credits of academic elective credit to be applied toward general liberal arts degree completion. The low cost of $500 is enabled because Youth Becoming Leaders is funded through generous gifts and grants from Carson-Myer Foundation, Lilly Endowment, Asbury Theological Seminary, Asbury University, and individual donors. You can donate here to help support this program.
***Students who do not meet the GPA requirement but who demonstrate strong leadership abilities and whose reference is able to speak to their fitness for the academic rigor of the program will still be considered.