Youth Becoming Leaders
Program Dates: June 5-16, 2023
Become the leader God has called you to be. Join other high school students at Youth Becoming Leaders who are committed to Christ, leaders in their community, academically gifted, and discerning God’s direction for their life. Youth Becoming Leaders students will get to live on the beautiful campus of Asbury University during the program. Students will stay in University dorms, eat in the dining hall, learn in Asbury Classrooms, and use University student resources.
- Immersion in a Christian community for worship, learning, and experiencing God
- Theological instruction from renowned Asbury University and Seminary faculty
- Experiential training in spiritual disciplines
- Training in researching and engaging significant global issues and discerning culture
- Observation and training with local ministry leaders
- Training for community action together with a mentor from your home community**
- Developing a ministry project to start in your home community
- A life-changing experience
How to Apply to Youth Becoming Leaders
Youth Becoming Leaders requires acceptance through an application process that includes; a minimum GPA of 3.3***, demonstration of leadership in the local community, reference letters, and memorizing scripture. Students who enroll at Asbury will also be able to receive three credits of academic elective credit to be applied toward general liberal arts degree completion.
Students are asked to complete a three-step application process by March 15, 2023 to be considered for acceptance into the program:
- Complete the application.
- Identify a mentor from your home church/community that will commit to journeying through a mentor relationship for the next year. Have this potential mentor fill out the Youth Becoming Leaders Mentor and Reference Form and submit it by March 15, 2023.
- Applicants will be asked to memorize a Scripture passage – 1 Samuel 16:1-13 – that connects with the theme of Youth Becoming Leaders. The scripture can be any translation. You will be asked to submit a video of yourself reciting the verses and the video must be one recorded video.
Turn in all three application materials (online application, mentor & reference form, and video of Scripture memorization) by Wednesday, March 15, 2023.
Accepted! Now What?
- Complete a short personality inventory which will be used in placing students into small groups and assisting in leadership development. A link to this inventory will be sent to the email address you enter below upon submission of the application information. Take a screenshot of the full description and email it to Jenna Brock. (View instructions on how to take a screenshot.) Deadline: April 20, 2023.
- Complete a short online pre-event assessment. This assessment will be emailed to students in late spring. Deadline: April 20, 2023.
- Submit payment of $500 to Asbury University. Deadline: April 20, 2023.
- Have your parent/guardian complete the required YBL Parent Permission Forms below if they have not already done so. They should have already received an email invitation to complete this form.
- YBL Parent Permission Form This permission form is required for you to participate in the YBL program.
- Challenge Course Permission Form A trip to the Asbury University Challenge Course is a major team-building and leadership activity included in the program and the permission form is required for you to participate in the Challenge Course.
- Monastery Wavier A trip to the Monastery is a way YBL teaches spiritual rhythms and rest. The permission form is required for you to go to the Mount St Francis Center for Spirituality.
**Youth Becoming Leaders also includes a post-program curriculum to be completed with their mentor. Mentors will be brought in for the final day of the residential program for training and to refine a ministry project to be completed by the student in the months following. There will be no cost to the mentor for this trip.
***Students who do not meet the GPA requirement but who demonstrate strong leadership abilities and whose reference is able to speak to their fitness for the academic rigor of the program will still be considered.
Complete and bring to camp:
- Project Checklist and Worksheet Form. Please schedule a time to meet with your mentor and go over the Project Checklist and Worksheet Form together before you arrive at camp in June. Every student who participates in YBL will develop a ministry project to implement in their home community with the help of their mentor. Completion of this form will prepare you to start working on your ministry project when you arrive at camp. We want you to be prayed up and ready to give life to your project when you get here!
- Read Everyday Saint: Rejecting Sin, Choosing Love by Jim Hampton, which will be referenced during your time at YBL. You will be sent this book at the mailing address you entered on your application. The deadline to have the book read is June 5, 2023. We will send a copy of this book to you by mail after May 1 and the finalization of your registration materials.
- Download a checklist version of the Packing List.