Transfer Credit


All transcripts, whether high school or college, must be sent directly from that institution to Asbury University to be considered official.  Hand‑carried transcripts may be used for advising; however, they are NOT acceptable as final, official transcripts.

Undergraduate Transfer Credits                              Graduate Transfers Credits

Current Students Wishing to Take Credits Elsewhere      



1. Credit can only be transferred from official transcripts mailed by the other institution or sent by official electronic transfer.  Credit will not be accepted from faxed, copied, emailed or hand delivered transcripts.

2. Undergraduate program courses must have grades of "C" or above to transfer.  Courses which are graded under a pass‑fail system are not accepted for transfer without official validation that the minimum passing grade is "C" (Exception: Physical Activity courses can be transferred with a passing grade of “P”). 

3. Graduate program courses must have grades of “B” or above to transfer.

4.  Grades for transfer courses are not used when determining a student’s cumulative grade point average at Asbury University.

5. Asbury University grants non-college advance credit (AP, CLEP, IB, Military, CPL) only on the basis of original documentation, and does not grant credit for advanced or institutional placement based on other college or university transcripts.

6. Courses taken more than three years prior to enrollment which involve current technology/equipment or which satisfy current regulating agency or state requirements may not be taken in transfer due to out of date content.  These courses will be reviewed case by case.

7. After matriculation at Asbury University, bachelor level students may not transfer more than 6 semester hours of independent study course work from another institution.   Graduate level students may not transfer additional credit after matriculation at Asbury University.

8. Asbury University will not accept transfer college credits taken more than two years prior to graduation from high school, unless student demonstrates continued educational progress at college level.

9. In the case of transfer courses from a regionally unaccredited institution, each institution is reviewed on an individual basis to evaluate the rigor, content, and faculty in their programs before deciding if any credit may be transferred. 

10. A maximum of 30 semester hours may be transferred for the associate’s degree (student must complete at least 30 semester hours at AU)  

11. A maximum of 60 semester hours of transfer credit may be transferred for the bachelor’s degree from all sources including two-year college or non-accredited institutions, AP, CLEP, CPL credit, military credit, and institutional credit. (Student with these types of credit must complete at least 64 semester hours at AU.)

12. An additional 15 semester hours may be transferred for the bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4 year institution for a maximum total of 75 semester hours of credit. (Student must complete at least 49 semester hours at Asbury University to receive a bachelor’s degree.) 

13. Undergraduate students who have completed at least 12 semester hours at another institution after high school graduation are considered transfer students.



Refer to the specific graduate programs for additional details on their transfer credit limitations. Graduate transfer credit is requested based on the recommendation of the specific graduate program director who evaluates the individual transcripts and work of applicants to the program. 

With approval, a student may satisfy a limited amount of graduate requirements for the master’s degree by non-Asbury class credits.

A. Each individual graduate program sets limits on which courses and how much of the program can be transferred from another institution or outside sources.  The typical maximum is no more than one third of graduate hours may be transferred or outside 

B. All graduate students must complete the equivalent of at least 30 hours of graduate coursework for a graduate level degree. 

Graduate level course work

A limited number of courses taken in a graduate program at another school or in another graduate program may be considered for transfer.

1. Outside credit can only be transferred from official transcripts mailed by the other institution or sent by official electronic transfer.  Credit will not be accepted from faxed, copied, emailed or hand delivered transcripts. These credits must have been completed at a regionally-accredited graduate school.  Transfer courses must be equivalent to Asbury University courses, and meet all accreditation requirements for the respective program.

2. Only courses with a grade of B or better may be transferred. 

3. No graduate courses may be taken elsewhere to transfer back after matriculating to the Asbury University graduate program.

4. Graduate courses used to satisfy the major requirements for another Asbury degree or credential may not be applied to a graduate program unless specifically indicated and approved by the Academic Dean.

Graduate course work taken as an undergraduate at Asbury University

A limited number of graduate level courses taken while an undergraduate student at Asbury University may be considered to meet the requirements in a graduate program with certain stipulations. 

1. Graduate courses used to satisfy the major requirements for another Asbury degree or credential may not be applied to a graduate program unless specifically indicated and approved by the Academic Dean.

[The Dean of the School of Education approves all prior coursework for the education licensure credential.]

2. Limit of 9 graduate level credits may be completed for use in a graduate prior to earning the bachelor’s degree. 



Students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program desiring to earn credits at another institution to apply toward graduation from Asbury University must receive approval from the Registrar at Asbury prior to enrolling.  The University is not obliged to transfer courses for which prior approval has not been secured. [Graduate students may not take credits elsewhere for transfer after matriculating into the Asbury graduate program.]

Credits Elsewhere Policies [TUG, APS]

1. Courses should be taken through regionally accredited institutions.

2. The student must provide the name and city/state of other school, as well as specific course prefix, number and title for the other school’s courses to have them reviewed for transfer.

3. The student must be eligible to register and continue at Asbury for a letter of good standing to be issued.  A GPA of 2.00 is recommended.

4. Hours taken elsewhere do not count towards the student’s full-time status at Asbury or for financial aid purposes.   Financial aid can only be awarded from one institution in a semester.

5. The student must not have exceeded the limit for transfer credits for their program (prior to and during enrollment at Asbury).  Limits for undergraduates: 60.0 total credits combined from any two-year institutions, AP, CLEP, CDC credit, military credit and institutional credit.  Students may receive an additional 15 credits from any four-year institutions making a maximum of 75.0 credits from all possible sources. Refer to the individual Graduate programs for specific limits on transfer credit.

6. The maximum credits that can be taken elsewhere during a fall or spring semester is 3-4 credits for traditional undergraduates, 6 credits for APS undergraduates, and 12 credits during summer sessions for traditional undergraduate.

7. Permission to take courses elsewhere during regular fall/spring semesters will be limited for students who are full-time at Asbury.  Students will not be permitted to take an overload of courses (Asbury + other school) over 19 credit hours for traditional undergraduates for a fall or spring semester, and not over 21 credits for APS undergraduates.

8. To finish a degree undergraduates can transfer no more than 9 credits from another school; 12 credits of their final 21 required credits must be completed at Asbury University.

9. Departmental approval may be required to take upper level major/minor courses elsewhere.

10. A course must have earned a letter grade of C or better to transfer.

11. Courses are transferred for credit only; the grades will not be included in the GPA at Asbury University. 

12. Credits taken at a school under a quarter hour calendar transfer by a factor of 2/3 (x 0.667) when transferred and converted to semester hours.

13. The student is responsible to request a final transcript be sent from the other school immediately upon completion of the course/s. An official transcript must be mailed directly to the Asbury University Registrar’s Office.  Hand-delivered transcripts are not accepted as official. Seniors cannot graduate until official transcripts for courses elsewhere have been received and processed.


2014-15 BULLETIN   08/11/2014