Through the Study Abroad & Off-Campus Programs, Asbury University is committed to providing students with opportunities to increase their knowledge, understanding, and perspectives beyond this campus and this country. What better way to learn and understand another culture than by studying in another country or city for an entire semester or summer term. We offer two unique full-semester study abroad opportunities with our very own professors— Semester in Paris and China Study Abroad. There are also travel courses where our students will spend a semester studying and preparing for a 1-3 week travel course with an Asbury professor. We also have agreements with several third-party providers, which can be found on our website or in the University Bulletin.
We welcome students from other institutions to join our unique Asbury programs.
- The approval procedure must be completed in order for the student to be enrolled in an Asbury University Off-Campus Program. A student who does not complete this procedure will not be enrolled as a student for the period of the off-campus study.
- The approvals indicating “in good standing” must be maintained up to and during participation in the program. Any probation, including chapel probation, will keep a student from participating in an off-campus program.
- A student must have a current cumulative GPA minimum of 2.75 and have completed at least two semesters of college coursework at Asbury. Transfer students must have at least one of the semesters completed at Asbury.
- A student may not participate in the same program more than once and may not participate in more than two semester programs.
- The student bears the responsibility to secure appropriate documentation (e.g., transcripts) from the host agency both before and after the off-campus experience.
- Please note that there will be an additional “AU External Program Fee” charged to the student’s account. The student is responsible for the $200 or $500 processing fee in addition to any tuition, travel, housing, or other expenses. The fee amount is dependent on the term – fall, spring or summer.
- Those participating in an Asbury University Study Abroad program may also need to submit a nonrefundable housing deposit. This deposit will be credited towards their tuition cost.
- Registration will take place only upon final approval by the Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and confirmation from the host agency of acceptance into their program.
- These procedures and policies are in addition to those required by the host agency and are considered to be of final authority in determining participation.
Visiting Students Policy
- Students visiting for the purpose of participating in off-campus programs are required to have completed at least two semesters of college coursework at their respective institution and to have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (please note that some programs have higher GPA requirements).
- Students will be required to submit the appropriate paperwork including the Student Acknowledgement Form, Transcript Request Form, Good Standing Verification Form, Home Institution Certification Form, Program Specific Application Form, and Principles and Expectations of Community Life.
- Students will submit the appropriate deposits to Asbury University on time.
- Because the visiting student technically remains a student at the home institution, except for the initial deposit required by the program, payment for participation is handled through the Business Office of the home institution. All charges must be paid in full by the first day of the semester.
Please Contact the Global Engagement Office for complete details and instructions.
FINANCIAL AID As a visiting student participating in the Asbury University Study Abroad Program, financial aid (if applicable) will be handled by your home institution. Check with your school’s financial aid office to determine whether your existing loans, grants and scholarships can be applied.
PROGRAM CHARGES Because the visiting student technically remains a student at their home institution, payment for participating in the program is handled through the Business Office or the Student Accounts Office of the home institution.
The only expense that a visiting student pays directly to Asbury University is the non-refundable housing confirmation fee, which is deducted from the total tuition fee at invoicing. If the student drops out of the program after the deposit payment deadline, the student forfeits the deposit as it will have already been dispersed to secure housing abroad. In addition to the tuition fee is also an external program fee (application fee) for visiting students. All charges must be paid in full by the first day of the semester.
Travel expenses to and from the Study Abroad site, personal experiences, travel insurance (ISIC Card), and visa/ passport costs are not included and are to be paid for by the student.
MEDICAL & LIABILITY INSURANCE Asbury University assumes no medical expenses for the students in this program. All students much have medical insurance coverage either through their parents, their personal insurance, or from their home college or university. In addition, students will need to purchase an ISIC Card for travel insurance purposes. Student may purchase this through the Global Engagement Office.
CANCELLATION If for any reason you find it necessary to cancel after being accepted into the program at Asbury University, you must notify the Registrars at your home institution and at Asbury University as soon as possible. If your non-refundable deposit has already been paid, it will be forfeited.
Please refer to Asbury University’s Bulletin for more policy details.
Ready to apply? Below are the steps you need to complete in order to be approved by Asbury University to study abroad. There are forms and signature documents that you will have to complete. For Asbury University students, if you are planning to participate in a non-AU program, please make sure you also apply to the host agency directly for admissions. For non-Asbury Students, you may submit your forms electronically or by mail. Please contact the Global Engagement Office at email@example.com if you have any questions.
STEP 1: Complete the Intent to Study Abroad & Off-Campus Program Application Form Online
The Global Engagement Office will contact you after receiving your “Intent to Study Abroad” application and make an appointment for your initial advisement. To begin, visit asbury.edu/academics/resources/geo/off-campus/apply/
STEP 2: Complete the Application Packet
Procure all the necessary forms and signatures to complete the Application Packet:
- Review and sign the Study Abroad & Off-Campus Application (pg. 3)
- Obtain the following forms from the Registrar’s Office:
- Academic Audit
- Foundational Courses Sheet
- Related Major(s)/Minor(s) Sheets
- Complete the Student Audit form (pg. 4) with your faculty advisor.
- Please meet with each office listed under Acknowledgments and Approvals (pg. 5-6)
- If this is a non-AU program, please make sure to apply to the host agency for admissions.
- If this is AU China Study Abroad or AU Paris Semester, please make sure to fill out the Reference Form and select two persons to serve as references on your behalf. One should be an academic reference and the other should be someone who can speak to your character. An online reference form will be sent to each person. Please have them complete and submit the forms.
Please submit completed Application Packets to the Global Engagement Office. If applying for a Spring program, this Application Packet is due by October 31st. If applying for a Summer or Fall program, this Application Packet is due by April 15th.
STEP 3: Acknowledgement of Final Approval
Final approval will be acknowledged by the Global Engagement Office and the host agency or host faculty member of acceptance into their program. Please submit your acceptance confirmation from the host agency to the Global Engagement Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
STEP 4: Submit Applicable Application Fee(s) Before Their Deadlines
Submit the AU External Program Fee
All outside programs have an overhead and processing fee. Fall and spring are $500; summer is $200. AU’s China or Paris programs have it figured into the budget, so students are not additionally charged. Please note that host agencies may have their own application and/or deposit fees.
Nonrefundable Housing Deposit
This deposit is required only for the AU Study Abroad Programs. The amount will be credited back to the student’s account and used towards their Asbury University tuition upon the start of the Study Abroad program. The amount will be deducted from the total tuition fee at invoicing. If the student drops out of the program after the deposit payment deadline, the student forfeits the deposit as it will have already been dispersed to secure housing abroad.
STEP 5: Register for Classes
Please make sure you go ahead and register for classes as if you will be attending classes on campus during the semester you are hoping to Study Abroad. This is to ensure that you are enrolled at Asbury for that semester. Once you have been approved and accepted to Study Abroad, the Registrar’s Office will update your status.
STEP 6: Complete All Necessary Travel Forms and Obtain an International Student Identification Card (ISIC)
All students traveling abroad with Asbury University faculty and/or staff members must fill out Global Engagement Office’s Travel Forms. Forms should be submitted to the Global Engagement Office. All students traveling abroad must obtain an International Student Identification Card, which provides travel insurance when abroad.
STEP 1: Complete the Initial Online Application as a Visiting Student
Please go to the Study Abroad website (www.asbury.edu/studyabroad) and complete the “Intent to Study Abroad Application Online Form. Upon completion, you will be directed to the Undergraduate Admissions website (www.asbury.edu/specialstatus). Please apply as “Special Status” student. When prompted, please make sure to specify which Asbury University Study Abroad program you are applying for. You must be first accepted as a visiting student in order to be considered for our Study Abroad programs.
STEP 2: Complete the Application Packet
The Global Engagement Office will contact you after receiving your “Intent to Study Abroad” application and advise you through the rest of the application to process. Procure all the necessary forms and signatures to complete the Application Packet:
- Student Acknowledgement Form
- Good Standing Verification Form
- Certifcation Form
- Program Specific Application Form (i.e. Paris or China)
- Reference Forms (1 Faculty Reference & 1 Character Reference)
Please make sure to have all forms mailed to Asbury University’s Global Engagement Office:
Global Engagement Office
Attn: Director of Global Engagement Office
One Macklem Drive
Wilmore, KY 40390
If applying for a Spring program, this Application Packet is due by October 31st. If applying for a Summer or Fall program, this Application Packet is due by April 15th.
STEP 3: Acknowledgement of Final Approval
Final approval will be acknowledged by the Global Engagement Office and/or the host faculty member of acceptance into their program.
STEP 5: Submit the Nonrefundable Housing Confirmation Fee
The amount will be deducted from the total tuition fee at invoicing. If the student drops out of the program after the deposit payment deadline, the student forfeits the deposit as it will have already been dispersed to secure housing abroad.
STEP 6: Register for Classes
Please make sure to register for classes with Asbury University’s Registrar’s Office. They may send you additional forms to make your course selections.
STEP 7: Complete All Necessary Travel Forms and Obtain an International Student Identification Card (ISIC)
All students participating on an Asbury University Study Abroad Program must fill out Travel Forms from the Global Engagement Office. All students traveling abroad must obtain an International Student Identification Card, which provides travel insurance when abroad. All forms can be downloaded from our website at asbury.edu/geo. Please mail these forms to the Global Engagement Office at the address above.