Political Science Internships
- The US Intelligence Community has information on many student programs for US citizens.
- The Bluegrass State Intelligence Community Center of Academic Excellence has links to many internships, student programs, and scholarship opportunities.
- The Clements Center for National Security at the University of Texas has a list of foreign policy internships at many organizations.
- USAJobs is the federal government’s job portal.
- GlobalJobs is a job portal with many opportunities, including internships.
- IES Abroad has opportunities to study abroad including internships.
Government Service (US citizens)
- The US Department of State has a number of internship programs for students and information about becoming a Foreign Service Officer.
- The CIA has student internships and information about careers with the CIA.
- The FBI has student internships and opportunities for recent graduates.
- The Defense Intelligence Agency has summer internships programs. Search their job postings here.
- The National Security Agency has student internships.
- The Department of Homeland Security offers a variety of internships in various fields, including health/science, intelligence analysis, law enforcement, legal, and public affairs.
- Information about civilian careers at the Office of Naval Intelligence.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency has a student internship program and information about careers.
- The Department of Homeland Security has a paid, six-week undergraduate summer course in nuclear forensics for science, mathematics or engineering students with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- The Department of Energy has student volunteer internships.
- The Department of the Treasury has internships and career information.
- The Department of Commerce has opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- The US Mission to the European Union has internship opportunities for both US and non-US citizens.
- The US Agency for International Development (US AID) has paid and unpaid internships for students and recent graduates.
- Volunteer for the Peace Corps after graduation.
- The Henry Clay Internship in Public Policy offers three students at Kentucky’s colleges and universities the opportunity to serve a member of Kentucky’s congressional delegation. Students must be residents of Kentucky. The internship includes a stipend.
Civil Society & Academia
- The Fund for American Studies has summer DC internships in journalism, international affairs, public policy and government affairs. You must pay for these, though some scholarships are available.
- The Center for Strategic & International Studies offers paid internships for those who are at least college juniors. Must be eligible to work in the US (but citizenship not required). The Korea Chair at CSIS also has an internship program.
- The Institute for the Study of War has internships.
- The Korean Economic Institute of America has internships for Korean graduate students.
- The National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism has a variety of unpaid internships (at the University of Maryland).
- Internship opportunities for intelligence analysis are available for students with advanced listening and reading comprehension in the languages of Arabic (Yemeni dialect), Dari, Farsi, Indonesian, Pashtu, Somali, Turkish or Urdu are available at the National Council of US-Arab Relations’ Critical Languages Research Analyst Program in DC.
- The International Justice Mission (human trafficking) has opportunities for college students and recent graduates.
- Amnesty International (human rights) has internship and employment opportunities.
- Human Rights Watch (human rights) has internship and employment opportunities.
- The International Rescue Committee (humanitarian aid) has job opportunities and a limited number of internships.
- Transparency International (corruption) occasionally has internship opportunities.
- The Council of Foreign Relations has internship opportunities.
- The Red Cross offers internships year-round.
- The International Center for Religion and Diplomacy sometimes has internship opportunities.
- The Oasis Center (Madrid) offers students 6-8 week internships working with refugees.
- Volunteer for Kentucky Refugee Ministries.
- Volunteer with the Kentucky Equal Justice Center / Maxwell Street Legal Clinic.
- Volunteer with The Well-Lexington in their work to help women live free from sexual exploitation, addiction, and homelessness.
Christian Mission & Service
- World Relief (multiple sites) has three-month opportunities for students and recent graduates.
- Project Rescue (multiple sites) has summer internships for students who are at least 21 years old.
- New Hope Girls (Dominican Republic) has internships (Spanish helpful), especially for those with expertise in teaching, psychology, social work, communications, media, or business and development.
- Asociata Free (Romania) has internships working with victims and survivors of commercial sexual exploitation.
- Samaritana Gambia (The Gambia) is seeking interns, short-term, and long-term volunteers for work with victims and survivors of commercial sexual exploitation.
- Sons & Daughters (Hong Kong) works with men and women in red-light districts and welcomes student interns.
- Ubani Trust (Nairobi) offers opportunities to teenage girls at-risk to prostitution and welcomes student interns.
- Word Made Flesh Bolivia has opportunities for students in their outreach to sexually exploited women and their children.
- The United Nations has internships (must be at least a senior in undergraduate study).
- Also check out United Nations University.
- The Organization of American States has internships.
- Check out the World Bank’s programs and internships.
- International Organization on Migration has internships for college seniors, recent graduates and graduate students.
- NATO has an internship program for citizens of NATO states who are at least 21 years old, have completed at least two years of undergraduate work, or who have graduated in the past year.
- The NATO Defense College has 4 internships for current or recent students in Rome.
- The Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) has an internship program in Belgium.