Below are the steps necessary to complete an application to Asbury University’s Master of Social Work program. All of the steps must be completed no later than one month before the first day of the class in which you intend to enroll. Mail all documents to:
Office of MSW Studies
One Macklem Drive
Wilmore, KY 40390
- Please print, complete and mail this to the address below
- Please read this document before signing the MSW Mission Statement form.
- Please print, complete and mail to the address below
- We require an official transcript from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Please have these mailed directly to the address below.
- Please read the Autobiographical Statement form and then mail your statement to the address below or e-mail your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Three Letters of Recommendation
- Academic reference
- Work-related reference
- Character reference (not from a family member)
8. One of the following:
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on all undergraduate course work OR
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on last 60 hours of undergraduate course work, OR
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on earned Master's degree
- Candidates not meeting any of the grade point average criteria above who have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.50-2.74 may apply for admission on a probational status. No more than 10% of the M.S.W. student population are students admitted on a probational status.
9. Complete all prerequisite requirements, OR have a plan to complete these requirements prior to entering the M.S.W. Program. The prerequisites are:
- 3 semester hours of introduction to psychology
- 3 semester hours of introduction to sociology
- 3 semester hours of statistics
- 9 semester hours in humanities
10. Possession of a valid driver's license and access to a car for transportation to field practicum location.
Additional Admission Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program
In order for applicants to be considered for admissions to the advanced standing program, they must meet the following minimal requirements:
1. Completed an undergraduate degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with an overall GPA of at least 3.25. CSWE requires that students have a plan to finish the MSW within ten years of completing a BSW from an accredited program to be eligible for advanced standing status.
2. Completed an undergraduate Statistics course. (Psychology and Sociology prerequisites not required for students with a BSW.)
4. Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is submitted. (A copy of the final Field Evaluation Form is required once the field placement is completed.)
Additional Admission Requirements for International Students
Applicants who have attended a college or university outside the United States must submit authenticated copies of all post-secondary academic records to the Master of Social Work Program at Asbury University through the World Education Services credential services clearinghouse. Applicants must order the WES ICAP evaluation package and verified transcript, and must request a course-by course report (BASIC evaluation packages and document-by-document reports will not be acceptable). When completing the application, Asbury University must be selected as a recipient institution. Applicants may access this service and submit a U.S. Credential Evaluation Application at www.wes.org/application/apply_now.asp. Applicants are responsible for paying the Credential Services Fee for the WES ICAP course-by-course Evaluation, as well as the appropriate delivery fee to the WES through the above website. Note: Fees are not refundable and are subject to change. Under certain circumstances, additional administrative fees may be charged.
English Language Proficiency:
Applicants who are not native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency to Asbury University by completing either the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants must present a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 550 on the paper-based TOEFL before they can be admitted. For the International English Language Testing Service (IELTS), applicants must present a minimum score of 6.5.
Applicants must submit the Asbury University Statement of Financial Responsibility form. Applicants must also submit a certified bank document verifying a current balance in USD (United States Dollars) that shows the ability to pay a full academic year of tuition, fees, and all other necessary expenses. International students are not eligible for any financial aid or scholarships through Asbury University.
Once accepted to the graduate program, the student must deposit $2,500 to Asbury University and submit a copy of their valid passport to the Master of Social Work Program. The student will then be referred to Asbury’s International Enrollment Specialist for issuance of the I-20.
International students must complete a telephone interview with a Master of Social Work faculty member to assess English language skills, social work knowledge, and program fit.