Frequently Asked Questions

If I come to Asbury University, what will I have to do to get a Kentucky teaching certificate?

• Candidates must successfully complete the teacher preparation program, including student teaching, earn a bachelor’s degree, and pass the required PRAXIS exams. The Certification Specialist holds a session with all student teachers each semester to walk them through the required paperwork. Kentucky does not charge a fee for the Statement of Eligibility (initial teaching certificate).

What are the PRAXIS exams?

• The PRAXIS exams are content knowledge and pedagogy tests required by the state of Kentucky and many other states for certification. Passing these exams is also a key component of being “highly qualified” under No Child Left Behind. These exams are usually taken the semester before student teaching. To learn more about these exams, visit . For information on which exams are required by a particular state, visit that state’s Department of Education or Professional Standards Board website.

Do I have to take the PRAXIS exams to be certified?

• Yes. For all of the certification areas offered by Asbury University at the undergraduate level, there are PRAXIS exams that must be passed in order to receive Kentucky certification.

Does Kentucky offer lifetime teaching certificates?

• No. Kentucky, along with most other states, no longer offers lifetime teaching certificates. Renewal is usually every 5 years and requires some demonstration of teaching experience, professional development, or graduate work.

What is KTIP?

• KTIP, the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program, is an internship year that all new teachers in the state must complete during their first year of teaching in Kentucky. If you plan to go directly to another state after earning your initial teaching certificate, you will not have to complete KTIP, although many other states have similar internship programs that you may be required to complete. A certified teacher returning to Kentucky with a minimum of 2 years of successful out-of-state teaching experience is exempt from KTIP.

I am planning on teaching in Kentucky. Will I have to complete a master’s degree?

• In Kentucky, teachers are required to work toward a master’s degree or “Fifth-Year Program.” For the first renewal of the professional teaching certificate after 5 years, at least 15 hours toward this advanced degree must be completed. For the second renewal, the advanced degree must be completed. At Asbury University, we highly encourage our candidates to complete a master’s degree because this would be recognized by another state should the individual ever move.

If I complete the teacher preparation program at Asbury University, will I be able to be certified in another state?

• Yes. Typically, once a student has earned Kentucky certification, in order to get certification in another state he/she must file the appropriate paperwork and take any additional PRAXIS or state exams that state may require. Since Asbury University is an NCATE-accredited institution and Kentucky is a member of the Interstate Certification Compact, our students generally have no problem transferring Kentucky certification to other states. Additionally, Kentucky is ranked #2 in the nation for quality of teacher preparation. We encourage students planning to return to another state to look up that state’s Department of Education or Professional Standards Board website and see what the certification requirements are for an individual coming with an initial out-of-state certificate.

I do not plan on teaching in Kentucky. If I come to Asbury University, is it necessary to get my Kentucky certification?

• Yes. We very strongly urge all of our candidates to first get Kentucky certification, even if they plan on going out-of-state to teach. If a candidate attempts to earn certification in another state without first having a valid teaching certificate, the other state will usually perform a transcript review and require the candidate to take a number of additional courses for certification. Additionally, if a candidate who prepared in Kentucky but never received the initial Kentucky teaching certificate were ever to return to Kentucky later in life, he/she would have to complete any new requirements that the state had added in the intervening years – possession of an out-of-state certificate would not change this fact. It is much easier to renew an expired certificate than to get an initial certificate years after completing the preparation program.

Whom can I contact if I have additional questions regarding certification or PRAXIS exams?

Melanie Kinnell, Certification Specialist
• Email:
• Phone: (859) 858-3511 Ext. 2304
• On-campus location: RE 317