For students enrolled beginning Fall 2020
CCE150 Student Learning Outcomes
CCE150 Cultural Engagement and Responsibility is a key component of Asbury’s institution-wide initiative, Embrace. This course is developed to enhance the student’s learning experience at Asbury. The following is a representation of the learning outcomes:
- Students will articulate a Biblical understanding of cultural diversity
- Students will be able to define cultural responsibility
- Students will demonstrate understanding of one’s own cultural identity
- Students will be able to interpret one’s own direct experience of cultural identity
- Students will demonstrate empathy and awareness in interpersonal interactions
- Students will be able to better engage cultures outside their own
- Students will conduct self-appraisal to enhance cultural awareness
- Students will display humility in inter- and intra-cultural interaction
Steps for Completing CCE150
- Enroll in CCE150 Cultural Engagement & Responsibility prior to participating in a Cultural Immersion. The course must be completed prior to enrolling in CCE150EX Cultural Immersion Experience.
- After completing CCE150, students may explore options for selecting a Cultural Immersion. We encourage students to pursue options that relate to their specific interests (i.e. missions, athletics, adventure, academic credit, major field of study).
- Follow the steps for enrolling in CCE150EX.
When should I enroll in the CCE150 course?
This course is intended to prepare students to understand their own ethnicity and cultural background, as well as equip students to engage diverse cultures through their Cultural Immersion Experience. Therefore, students must complete the CCE150 course BEFORE participating in their Cultural Immersion Experience.
CCE150 Cultural Engagement & Responsibility Course Description (1 credit hour)
This course will prepare students to understand their own ethnicity and cultural background. Additionally, students will be equipped to identify cultural realities and be prepared to adapt, understand, and communicate across cultural boundaries. This course brings the mission of Asbury University to equip students for leadership and service to the professions, society, the family and the Church, preparing them to engage their cultures and advance the cause of Christ around the world into clear focus. Finally, this course will prepare students to fulfill their CCE graduation requirement in a culturally responsible way.
CCE150 Syllabus (sample)
View the full Syllabus CCE150 (PDF).