Asbury University believes that our students should be enriched by their encounters with other cultures through full immersion experiences. It is our hope to equip our students to engage other cultures and communities and advance the cause of Christ around the world. We desire to train our students to embrace global responsibility since we are not isolated people but part of a global community that is ever-changing and ever-growing.
What is Cross-Cultural Engagement?
We define a cross-cultural engagement as immersion into another culture, which involves engaging students in a variety of life-spheres, including being in community with the local people.
We desire students to be immersed in the elements by which cultures are articulated: architecture, fine arts, music, artifacts, language, foods, crafts, leisure activities, institutions, churches and eco-diversity. This engagement experience must be culturally diverse.
Students should be in a culture that is significantly different from their own. Dimensions of time and intensity should be relative; for a shorter experience, the cultural differences should be great for intensity of reflection and deep learning; for a longer experience, a smaller cultural difference should accomplish the same degree of cultural exposure.
Most experiences will expose the student to cultures outside of their own nationality, but stateside experiences are permitted and can be equally as transformative.
Where Our Students Have Been
Examples of our Students’ Activities
- Chicago, Ill. – AU Social Work Travel Course
- Peoria, Ariz. – WGM Native American Reservation Ministries
- Lexington, Ky. – Kentucky Refugee Mission
- Columbia – Sports Team Ministry
- Brazil – 2016 Summer Olympics (Media Communication & Journalism)
- Spain – Personal Cultural Exploration of El Camino de Santiago
- Paris, France – AU Paris Semester
- Germany & Poland – AU Psychology Travel Course
- Amman, Jordan – Middle East Studies Program with Best Semesters
- Cape Town, South Africa – Asbury Initiative Grant
- India – Friends of the Good Samaritan Schools Volunteer
- Xi’an-Beijing-Hong Kong, China – AU China Study Abroad
- Hong Kong, China – ELIC Summer Engage (Teaching English)
- South Korea – 2018 Winter Olympics
Remember: Let us know before you go!
Questions? Concerns? Confused?
Send us an email: email@example.com