What is SEARCH?
SEARCH is the annual academic event and competition showcasing outstanding student work at Asbury University. In addition to the student showcase, we invite internationally known guests to come for keynote discussions during the event, which are open to the public.
The top three competition winners will receive:
- 1st place: $1000
- 2nd place: $500
- 3rd place: $500
Why SEARCH matters to you
If you’re a student, you may be asking “why should I enter this competition”? We can think of some great reasons!
- You’ll get to share all that great work that you have already done as a student!
- You’ll be able to add a professional presentation to your resume (which looks great to employers and graduate schools alike).
- You’ll get to work a little more with your favorite professor as you prepare.
- You’ll get to hang out and learn from your friends and their great work.
SEARCH 2020 Schedule
April 16, 2020
3 p.m. – Faculty Panel Discussion in the Student Center
7 p.m. – Presentation by Dr. John Haldane in Jameson Recital Hall
8 p.m. – Student Poster Presentation in Kinlaw Library
Commonly asked questions:
All majors are eligible to compete.
Any paper you did for a class or independent project at Asbury is eligible!
If you want to participate without entering the competition, after registration you will have to create a poster (view poster details) to represent your paper. Previous participants have described poster creation taking 2-3 hours. You can make your poster from scratch or use one of our handy templates.
If you want to compete, you’ll need to do the poster as well as work with your faculty sponsor to make edits on your paper.
Send an email to them or visit them at office hours, and just say you were thinking about submitting the paper you wrote in their class to SEARCH. If you are not sure who to ask, try one of the faculty listed in our FAQ.
You can talk to your professor or Dr. Janet Dean for help on this process. You can also attend a SEARCH workshop given by the Center for Academic Excellence in Kinlaw Library.
Monday, March 30, 2020 at 5 p.m. - Registration, papers, and posters due
This year's SEARCH event is April 16, 2020 and schedule is as follows:
- 3 p.m. Faculty Panel Discussion in the Student Center
- 7 p.m. Presentation by Dr. John Haldane in Jameson Recital Hall
- 8 p.m. Student Poster Presentations in Kinlaw Library