Frequently Asked Questions

What Graduate Education programs are offered?
MA in Education, Regular Certification track (teaching certificate required):

  • English as a Second Language, P-12 Endorsement
  • Special Education: Learning & Behavior Disorders, P-12
  • Special Education: Learning & Behavior Disorders, 8-12 Endorsement
  • Special Education: Moderate & Severe Disabilities (must be certified in LBD)
  • School Social Worker Certification
  • Reading and Writing, P-12 Endorsement
  • Teacher as Leader Endorsement (online)
  • NEW: Principal Licensure Program (online)

MA in Education, Alternative Certification track (no previous teacher certification):

  • Biology, 8-12 Alternative Certification (degree in biology required)
  • Chemistry, 8-12 Alternative Certification (degree in chemistry required)
  • English, 8-12 Alternative Certification (degree in English required)
  • Mathematics, 8-12 Alternative Certification (degree in mathematics required)
  • Social Studies, 8-12 Alternative Certification (degree in Social Studies required)
  • English as a Second Language, P-12 Alternative Certification
  • French, P-12 Alternative Certification (language degree required)
  • Latin, P-12 Alternative Certification (language degree required)
  • Spanish, P-12 Alternative Certification (language degree required)
  • Special Education: Learning & Behavior Disorders, P-12 Alternative Certification

Is the Graduate Education Program at Asbury University accredited?
Yes. The entire Education Department, including the Graduate Education Program, has both state and NCATE accreditation.

What are the admission requirements?

  • Application (apply online now)
  • Completed undergraduate degree
  • Official transcripts of all previous undergraduate and graduate work sent directly to the Admissions Coordinator in the Graduate Education Office at Asbury University
  • Minimum of 2.75 cumulative GPA
  • Copy of teaching certificate (if required for your program)
  • Praxis or GRE scores (if required for your program)
  • 3 professional references submitted on the forms provided: 1 employer, 1 professor, and 1 personal
  • TOEFL score of 550 minimum on Paper-Based Test (PBT) or 80 on Internet-Based Test (iBT) for international students.

Do I have to take an exam (such as the Praxis or GRE) for admission?
Testing requirements for admission depend on the program:

  • All Regular Certification tracks: Passing Praxis scores required from your initial certification.
  • Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, English, Social Studies, French, Latin, and Spanish Alternative Certification: Passing Praxis scores in your content area required.
  • Special Education Alternative Certification: No scores required for initial admission.
  • English as a Second Language Alternative Certification: No Scores required for initial admission

What is the application deadline?

  • Now enrolling throughout summer for Summer 2012 classes!
  • Fall 2012 deadline: August 31st, 2012

What does the program cost?
Tuition for 2012-2013 is: $420 per credit hour. SEG prefix courses and EDG 636 have an additional $18 per credit hour technology fee.

Is financial aid available?
Yes. Students must submit a FAFSA to determine the federal aid for which they may qualify. If you wish to receive federal financial aid, you must complete a Graduate Aid Application form (2012-2013). This must be filled out each year and your FAFSA form must be kept up to date. These two forms will enable the Financial Aid Office to complete your financial aid award. Be sure to sign and return the forms to the Financial Aid Office in order to complete the process. In addition, some grants and loan forgiveness programs may be available depending on your selected program of study. Download the Financial Information Sheets for more details.

What other financial aid do you offer other than loans?
On top of our discounted tuition, we also offer two other grant options to help pay for your graduate degree.

Federal Teach Grant

The Federal Teach Grant provides funds to students who are completing or who plan to complete coursework that is required to begin a career in teaching, and who agree to teach full-time for at least four years: 

    • As a highly qualified teacher
    • At a school or educational service agency (ESA) servicing low-income students; and
    • In a high-need field

The four years of teaching must be completed within eight years after you complete or otherwise cease to be enrolled in the program for which you received a TEACH Grant. This teaching requirement is known as your TEACH Grant service obligation.

To be considered for this grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen, be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such course work, meet certain academic achievement requirements, sign a TEACH Grant Agreement To Serve (ATS), and complete Teach Entrance Counseling.

For full details regarding the Federal Teach Grant, please visit

WHAS Grant

Due to the increased shortage of Kentucky qualified special education teachers, WHAS Crusade For Children has granted Asbury’s Graduate Education Program scholarship funds to be awarded to assist certified teachers in obtaining certification in the area of Special Education. The WHAS Incentive Grant will award a partial tuition discount per semester for qualified students.

If you would like more information on this grant please contact the Graduate Education Office my phone at 859-858-3511 ex.2502.

Will these programs fulfill my requirements for Rank II or Rank I?
Yes. All of the programs are state-approved and can be used for rank change.

How are classes offered?
All of the graduate programs are offered in a concentrated, campus-based or online format (depending on program) centered around the schedule of a professional educator. Many courses make use of online resources to enhance class time. There are also field-based courses (internships, field experiences, or practica) required in each major which take place in the educator's classroom, requiring minimal on-campus time.

Do I have to start the program in the summer, or can I start any semester?
A summer or fall start is recommended for optimal course sequencing and fewest semesters required for completion; however, students are permitted to begin graduate programs any semester.

How long does it take to finish the program?
It varies by student and program. Minimum completion time:

  • English as a Second Language: 6 semesters (fall start)
  • Special Education (any Regular Certification track): 6 semesters (summer start)
  • Secondary and P-12 Alternative Certification: 6 semesters (summer start)
  • Special Education Alternative Certification: 7 semesters (summer start)

Note: Semester counts include summers. 6 semesters = 2 years.
The maximum completion time allowed for any program is 5 years.

Additional questions? Contact Professor Barbara Kennedy, Dr. Verna Lowe or our Admissions Coordinator.

Call: (859) 858-3511, ext. 2502
Write: Graduate Education Program
Asbury University
One Macklem Drive
Wilmore, KY 40390-1198
Fax: (859) 858-3921 (include note "Attn: Graduate Education")