Welcome to the Global Engagement Office (GEO)
Engaging Society & Global Responsibility
The University seeks to expand students’ horizons outward to understand the history and value of other peoples and cultures, and prepares them for involvement in a complex and changing global reality. Through the Global Engagement Office, we seek to offer curricular and co-curricular opportunities that will challenge students to an increased cultural sensitivity and awareness as they develop cross-cultural competencies to effectively serve Christ in a global society.
Why Global Engagement?
We see a world today that is at once bigger and smaller as events and cultures we hardly knew existed just a few years ago are now downloaded into our pockets instantly. Diversity in language, culture, beliefs, and backgrounds are no longer a world away but many of times right outside of our doorsteps. Thus, we want to prepare our students for an increasingly diverse and globalized world. More importantly, we belong to a global church and we want to better reflect the reality of the Kingdom of God.
As the Global Engagement Office, our desire is for our students to reflect Christ-like empathy and humility as they engage different cultures and advance the cause of Christ around the world. Through studies, travels, and service in cultures other than their own, we want to encourage and provide students opportunities to work toward cultural engagement and a global perspective. Ultimately, we want to equip students to live and work faithfully and fruitfully no matter where God calls them to serve.
Areas of Programs:
Global Engagement Office Objectives:
- To assist students with opportunities to engage with different cultures and people groups through study abroad programs, study tours, service/mission opportunities, internships/work opportunities, and/or other cross-cultural engagement experiences.
- To help students learn how to study a culture and to understand how the world might look from the perspective of another community.
- To help students integrate his/her existence into the contemporary world more insightfully and more holistically, while growing in their understanding of international interests and becoming contributing voices to global issues/concerns.
- To expose students to both cognitive and affective educational activities and learning opportunities outside the traditional classroom.
- To foster in students the need to increase cultural sensitivity awareness as they develop competencies to effectively serve Christ in a global society.
Click here for Staff Information