Affectionately dubbed “the Stuce” by students, the Student Center has been a center of campus community since it was built in 1927. The building originally served as the campus library, and in 2007, it became the Student Center — a hub for conversations, questions and community.
The Hiccup is an integral part of life in the Stuce and the space is audibly different when they are closed. Ping pong and pool tables bring an escape from academics and create a fun place to compete, bond with friends, and meet people over group games such as “jungle pong.”
The Stuce hosts activities from class events and dorm hall competitions, to guest speakers, concerts, open mic nights, worship events and town hall discussions. It is most often used for individuals or groups to study and share in the overall responsibilities of college assignments. But equally important are the diverse conversations, moments of prayer and bible studies as well as much laughter. While the student government offices have been located in the Stuce since it reopened in 2007, with the demolition of Fletcher-Early in 2020, Student Development and Intercultural Affairs now have eight offices located inside the student center. Staff have all enjoyed this transition. Working amongst the students and passing through multiple times per day is a great reminder to all of us why we are here and what a tremendous blessing it is to be a part of this community.