The Hughes Memorial Auditorium, built in 1929, has been the scene of many great spiritual awakenings. With a seating capacity of 1,489, it is used for the three chapel services each week and dozens of special programs throughout the year. This auditorium has witnessed a number of revivals including the world-famous one which began here spontaneously on February 3, 1970. During 1989, the entire ceiling was replaced and an air-conditioning system installed. The lower level of this building provides classrooms and faculty offices.