Returning to Campus
After the COVID-19 pandemic impacted Asbury University’s spring semester, a team of Asbury administration and advisors was formed to focus intently on preparing the University for students to return to campus for a full on-campus, residential experience in the Fall of 2020. The Asbury University Preparation for the Residential Education Program (PREP) Team has worked in conjunction with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines as well as state and federal guidelines to plan for students to return to a healthy and safe campus.
The PREP Team created a document outlining the procedures for campus life in the fall. Each area discussed in this document will have more details that will be announced before the fall semester resumes. A highlight of some of the topics covered in this document:
- Fall 2020 semester will be optimized. The semester will commence as scheduled on Monday, August 17, 2020. On-campus instruction will conclude on Friday, November 20, 2020 followed by an extended Thanksgiving break. Residence halls will close on Sunday, November 22, 2020. More information about fall schedule changes is in the attached document.
- Welcome Weekend will be staggered. New students will be assigned a Welcome Weekend start date of either Thursday, August 13; Friday, August 14; or Saturday, August 15.
- New student and returning student move-in dates will be staggered.
- Social distance expectations will be in place. Students will be expected to either maintain a social distance of 6 feet or wear a face mask while on campus.
- Classroom environments will be configured to provide a safe 6-foot distance between individuals.
- Chapel will be offered on a staggered attendance schedule with social distance.
- Food Services will offer staggered mealtimes, increased to-go options and will follow CDC guidance for food service.
- Student-athlete temperatures will be checked before practices and competition.
- Luce Center admittance will be based on temperature checks at the front desk.
- Students who have been exposed to COVID-19 will be expected to remain at home or in their residence hall rooms and report symptoms to Health Services and Residence Life staff.
- Students who exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 will quarantine off campus or in residence hall room until no longer exhibiting symptoms and a negative test clears them to return to campus life.
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 must follow the current the CDC guidelines as provided by Health Services and will be isolated in specified campus housing with a private bathroom or may isolate at home.
Read the Return to Campus FAQs for answers to frequently asked questions.
More information will be released in the coming weeks with more detailed plans and information. Please direct all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience as we develop the plans necessary to ensure a healthy educational experience at Asbury. We are excited to welcome all students back to campus in August!