Brian Hull, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pastoral and Christian Ministries, Youth Ministry
Director, Youth Becoming Leaders
Department: Christian Studies & Philosophy
Office: Hughes 122
Phone Extension: 2317Contact Brian Hull
Brian Hull loves that God allows him to do great things with great people. An ordained elder in the Church of the Nazarene, Brian is the Gardner Scholar and Professor of Pastoral and Christian Ministries at Asbury University, Director of the Youth Becoming Leaders High School Christian Leadership Institute, and President of the Association of Youth Ministry Educators. He has his Ph.D. in Intercultural Studies from Asbury Theological Seminary, his M.A. in Christian Education with a Youth Ministry Diploma from Nazarene Theological Seminary, and his B.A. in Philosophy and Religion from Olivet Nazarene University. Serving in church ministry for more than 25 years, including work at the local church and denominational levels, Brian continues to present and write about the church, culture, youth ministry, Christian leadership, and the Christian Endeavor Society. He recently co-authored the book, Youth Ministry As Mission: A Conversation About Theology and Culture, with Patrick Mays. Brian is married to Carol, and they have four children.
Brian is a Gardner Scholar, and the director of Youth Becoming Leaders: High School Christian Leadership and Global Transformation Institute
- Ph.D., Asbury Theological Seminary (Intercultural Studies)
- M.A., Nazarene Theological Seminary (Christian Education, Youth Ministry Diploma)
- B.A., Olivet Nazarene University (Philosophy and Religion)
- Teaching in the Church
- Foundations for Educational Ministry
- Youth Ministry
- Youth and Culture
- Pastoral Care of Youth
- Youth and Evangelism
- Special Topics in Youth Ministry
- Practicum: Christian Ministries and Youth Ministry
- Internship: Youth Ministry
- Ministry and Mission in the Contemporary Church
- Dynamics of Spiritual Growth
- Instructional Bible Study
- Leadership in Ministry
- Seminar: Leading Ministry Events
- Seminar: Cross-Cultural Education and Evangelism
- Seminar: Liberal Arts
- Seminar on Islam
- Senior Seminar
- Youth Ministry As Mission: A Conversation About Theology and Culture. Kregel Publishing, co-written with Patrick Mays, 2022.
- Reachable Reconciliation, Zondervan/Youth Specialties e-book, co-written with Fred Oduyoye, 2017.
- “The Networks of God: Evangelizing Peer Clusters Learning from Saint Patrick and Donald McGavran,” The Journal of Youth Ministry, 2017.
- “Sending the Silent Missionaries: How One Man’s Writing Help Transform Youth and the Global Church,” The Asbury Journal, 2016.
- “Youth Doing Ministry: Four Big Ideas for Teaching Students To Lead,” YouthWorker Journal, 2015.
- Enduring Endeavor: How Francis E. Clark Utilized Written Communication, Global Travel and Organization to Re-Shape the Global Protestant Church’s Ministry to Young People through the Christian Endeavor Society. Dissertation, Asbury Theological Seminary, 2014.
- Participant: Roundtable on Theology and Ministry. YouthWorker Journal, 2014
- Review: Millennials and Mission by Jim and Judy Raymo. Evangelical Missions Quarterly, 2014.
- Review: The Gospel After Christendom by Ryan Bolger. Evangelical Missions Quarterly, 2013.
- How To Gain 5 Million Followers Before Social Media or Even the Regular Use of the Telephone: The Amazing Global Diffusion of Christian Endeavor Societies, Association of Youth Ministry Educators, Washington, D.C., 2014.
- Youth are Mission: Seeing and Ministering to Youth Cultures in America, American Society of Missiology, Chicago, IL, 2012.
- Something New: Snapshots of Youth Ministry Contextualization in North America, Association of Youth Ministry Educators, Seattle, WA, 2011.
- Consolidated all of the Christian Endeavor International and Christian Endeavor WorldWide archives at Asbury Theological Seminary.
- Youth Ministry as Missiology – studying youth ministry and youth culture using missionary techniques, approaches, and philosophy.
- Reconciliation – restoration or beginning of right relationships with others with and through adolescents
- Christian Endeavor Society
- Adolescent Development
- Global Youth Culture
- Association of Youth Ministry Educators, President
- Society of Professors of Christian Education
- Youth Specialties Academic Support Network
- American Society of Missiology
- Ordained Elder, Church of the Nazarene
Speaking and Training
Feel free to email Brian for more information about him speaking at your event or partnering with your ministry on training. Here are some of the topics/trainings Brian has done:
- Youth Ministry As Mission: Lectures and/or Training
- Developing Student Leaders Workshop
- Seminar on Youth Culture: Understanding Generation Z and Implications for Ministry
- Adult Discipleship Retreats
- Youth conferences/camps/retreats