Undergraduate Transfer Credit [TUG, APS]

Undergraduate Transfer Credits         

Students with a completed KCTCS degree

Dual Enrollment Credit during High School

Current Students Wishing to Take Credits Elsewhere    

see Institutional Credit for:

Credit from Military Training

Advance Credit by Examination - AP, CLEP, International Baccalaureate

APS Undergraduates with Credit by Prior Learning (CPL) 

Credit for Foreign Language or Horseback Riding in Traditional Undergraduate  



All official transcripts, whether high school or college, and official test scores for outside credit must be sent directly from the institution to Asbury University.  Student delivered transcripts and scores may be used for advising; however, they are NOT acceptable as final, official transcripts and scores for the transfer of credit.




General policies for credit from all outside sources

1. Credit can only be transferred from final, official transcripts mailed by the other institution or sent by official electronic transfer.  Credit will not be accepted from faxed, copied, emailed or hand delivered transcripts.

2. Undergraduate program courses must have grades of "C" or above to transfer.  Courses which are graded under a pass‑fail system are not accepted for transfer without official validation that the minimum passing grade is "C" (Exception: Physical Activity courses can be transferred with a passing grade of “P”). 

3.  Grades for transfer courses are not used when determining a student’s cumulative grade point average at Asbury University.

4. Asbury University grants non-college advance credit (AP, CLEP, IB, Military, CPL) only from original documentation, and does not grant credit based on advanced or institutional credit on other college or university transcripts.

5. Courses taken more than three years prior to enrollment which involve current technology/equipment or which satisfy current regulating agency or state requirements may not be taken in transfer due to out of date content.  These courses will be reviewed case by case.

6. After matriculation to Asbury University, bachelor level students may not transfer more than 6 semester hours of independent study course work from another institution.  

7. Asbury University will not accept transfer college credits taken more than two years prior to graduation from high school, unless student demonstrates continued educational progress at college level.

8. In the case of transfer courses from a regionally unaccredited institution, each institution is reviewed on an individual basis to evaluate the rigor, content, and faculty in their programs before deciding if any credit may be transferred. 

9.Credits taken at a school using a quarter hour calendar transfer by a factor of 2/3 (x 0.667) when transferred and converted to semester hours.

10. For the associate’s degree a maximum of 30 semester hours may be transferred from a total combined from all sources (regionally accredited institutions, AP, CLEP, IB, CPL credit, military credit, and institutional credit). Student must complete at least 30 semester hours of course work at AU.  

11. For the bachelor’s degree a maximum of 75 semester credit hours of transfer credit may be transferred from a total combined from all sources (regionally accredited institutions, AP, CLEP, IB, CPL credit, military credit, and institutional credit). Student must complete at least 49 semester hours of course work at AU. Fifty percent of all undergraduate major or minor requirements must be completed at Asbury University.  Must meet residency requirement (12 of final 21 credits added must be completed at Asbury).  


KCTCS School Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degrees

Any student accepted into Asbury University who presents an Associate of Arts (A.A.) or Associate of Science (A.S.) degree awarded by one of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System schools will be deemed to have satisfied the Asbury University Foundational requirements and can waive specific foundational requirements with the exception of the Bible/Theology courses (9 credits), and the Foreign Language in the degrees that require it.  [This agreement does not apply to a KCTCS associate of applied science (A.A.S.) degree.]  Students with waivers of any foundational requirements must still complete the total 124.0 credits required for graduation with a bachelor’s degree. Any foundational courses which are also required courses for a major or minor cannot be waived.  Asbury University does not guarantee transfer of the total credit hours completed in the KCTCS degree, but evaluates specific courses by policy above.  Asbury will not transfer credits for courses which have grades below ”C”, are remedial, or are usually not accepted in transfer. 


Dual Enrollment Credit Completed While In High School

Any college credit completed prior to high school graduation may be considered for transfer. Dual Enrollment credit completed in the Asbury Academy is automatically applied towards future enrollment in an undergraduate degree program. The student is still considered a first time freshman when enrolling in their first college class after their high school graduation date.

1.Dual enrollment credit cannot be transferred from the high school transcript, but must be documented on the official college transcript from the grading institution.

2. The student is responsible to request that final official transcript to be sent from the originating institution (college). An official transcript must be sent directly to the Asbury University Admissions Office.  Student-delivered transcripts are not accepted as official.

3.All above transfer policies and limitations apply to dual enrollment college transfer credit.



Students currently enrolled in an undergraduate program desiring to earn credits at another institution to transfer and apply toward graduation from Asbury University must receive approval from the Registrar at Asbury University prior to enrolling.  The University is not obliged to transfer courses for which prior approval has not been secured. [Graduate students may not take credits elsewhere for transfer after matriculating into the Asbury graduate program.]

Credits Elsewhere Policies [TUG, APS]

Students should complete credits elsewhere before starting their final full time semester when no more than 9 of the final 21 credits can be taken elsewhere. 

1. Courses must be taken through regionally accredited institutions.

2. The student must provide the name and city/state of other school, as well as specific course prefix, number and title for the other school’s courses to have these reviewed for transfer.

3. The student must be eligible to register and continue at Asbury for a letter of good standing to be issued.  A minimum GPA of 2.00 is recommended.

4. Credits registered elsewhere do not count towards the student’s full-time status at Asbury.   Financial aid can only be awarded from one institution in a semester.

5. The student must not have exceeded the limit for transfer credits for their program (prior to and during enrollment at Asbury).  Limits for undergraduates: 75.0 total credits combined from all sources (regionally accredited institutions, AP, IB, CLEP, CPL credit, military credit, and institutional credit). 

6. The maximum credits that can be taken elsewhere during a fall or spring semester is usually one class, 3-4 credits, for traditional undergraduates; two classes, 6 credits, for APS undergraduates. Traditional undergraduates may take 9 credits during summer term.

7. Students will not be permitted to take an overload of courses (Asbury + other school) over 19 credit hours for traditional undergraduates for a fall or spring semester, and not over 21 credits for APS undergraduates.

8. To finish a degree undergraduates may transfer no more than 9 credits from another school after they stop attending Asbury; 12 credits of a student’s final 21 required credits must be completed at Asbury University.  Students should complete credits elsewhere prior to their final full time semester.

9. Foundational courses and needed elective credits are the best candidates for credits taken elsewhere. Departmental approval may be required to take major/minor courses elsewhere.

10. A course must have earned a letter grade of C or better to transfer.

11. Courses are transferred for credit only; the grades will not be included in the GPA at Asbury University. 

12. Credits taken at a school using a quarter hour calendar transfer by a factor of 2/3 (x 0.667) when transferred and converted to semester hours.

13. The student is responsible to request a final transcript be sent from the other school immediately upon completion of the course/s. An official transcript must be mailed directly to the Asbury University Registrar’s Office.  Student delivered transcripts are not accepted as official.

14.Seniors cannot graduate until official transcripts for courses elsewhere have been received and processed.


2015-16 BULLETIN   08/13/2015