Courses Registration Procedures

It is the student’s responsibility to verify that they are registered for the correct courses they are actually taking.  Students will not receive credit for courses in which they are not properly registered. 


Note: The University reserves the right to change degree requirements, major and minor requirements, and course offerings, and to cancel any course not elected by a sufficient number of students at the time offered.


Registration During Drop/Add

Withdrawing/Dropping a course after Drop/Add

Audit courses

Affiliate courses with other institutions or off campus

Contract courses

Senior Citizens

Course Exchanges

Repeating a course

PE course policy

Pass/Fail option

Undergraduates in Graduate Courses



1. A student can unregister a class during the official Drop/Add period through online registration on the student portal, and will have the course cancelled and will not be charged for that particular course.  If the student wishes to completely withdraw from all courses at the institution any time after the first day of classes please see Academic Policies: Withdrawal from the University to completely withdraw.

2. The Drop/Add period is the first week of the program term even for classes that start later in the term. Classes starting on a date after the official drop/add period closes may only be withdrawn or exchanged. 

3. The Drop/Add period is based on the start date of the term for each respective program (Traditional Undergrad, APS, Graduate programs). The official Drop/Add periods and the dates of the Last Day to Drop or Add a class for each program are listed in the respective academic calendars found at the front of this Bulletin. 

4. Students in APS or Graduate program with classes having start dates after the drop/add period ends may be allowed to exchange or add classes that have yet to begin, at the discretion of the registrar. 

5. No course can be unregistered after the Drop/Add deadline.  After the Last Date to Drop or Add a class the class can be withdrawn with a grade of W up to the deadline for withdrawing a class listed in the calendar or up to two thirds of the class has passed. (See Academic Policies: Withdrawal From A Course below). 

6. Students in APS or Graduate program who wish to drop a course that meets early in the term but retain a course that meets later in the term, even dropping during the drop/add period, must contact financial aid to ensure continuation of aid.

NOTE:  Changing enrollment status– from full-time, to three-quarter time, to half-time, or less – when unregistering or dropping a course will impact financial aid eligibility.  It is the student’s responsibility to contact financial aid to see if any change in registration will affect aid.



  • All undergraduate Students with a GPA below 2.75 and all first semester students may not register for more than 17 hours in a fall or spring semester. 
  • Traditional undergraduate students are not permitted to take more than 19 hours in their fall or spring semester.
  • Traditional undergraduate Summer registration is limited to 9 hours.  If online classes are included see “Online Registration Limits” for traditional undergraduates below.
  • APS undergraduate students are not permitted to take more than 21 hours in their longer fall or spring semester.



For Traditional Undergraduates Only

To register for online classes full-time traditional undergraduate students are required to take 12 hours of on-campus courses in a fall or spring semester. If students choose to take additional hours in online courses, the meeting dates for each online course may not overlap. In the summer, student may take a maximum of two online courses that meet simultaneously.


A degree student may request to audit one class free of charge within their regular full-time semester.

A non-degree student who only registers for audited classes is classified and billed as an auditor.

1. Prior to auditing any course a student must have applied and been admitted to the University through one of the Program Offices of Admissions.

2. Students must request to audit a particular course during the registration for a program’s term. Audit requests must be made to the registrar’s office before the end of the program’s Drop/Add period. 

3. The registrar’s office will seek instructor approval to add an auditor and will determine if there will be room in the class for an auditor after regular enrollment is completed. Priority seating is given to for-credit students.

4. No more than one course may be audited by degree students per semester.  Non-degree students may audit more than one class.

5. Only lecture type, on-campus courses may be audited. Online courses may not be audited.  “Activity” courses may not be audited.  Activity courses are defined as classes which require use of equipment, or materials, or which require actual participation to attend such as, but not limited to, all laboratories, computer programming, physical education, internships, adventure recreation, and any studio art.

6. Neither class discussion nor taking of examinations is expected or permitted except by special arrangement with the instructor.

7. If an auditor submits daily assignments, the instructor is not obligated to read or correct them.

8. No credit hours or quality points shall be awarded for courses audited.   Courses completed as audit may not be converted to credit at a later time.

9. Full-time degree students incur no audit course cost additional to regular tuition for auditing a course. The cost to audit a course for less than full-time degree students and non-degree students is $40 per credit hour. 


An affiliate course is a class taught at another school with whom Asbury University has a cooperative agreement wherein Asbury students may gain visiting-student admission to the affiliate institution to register for designated classes.  These affiliate classes are also registered as Asbury courses for purposes of financial aid and tuition. Courses are predetermined to meet Asbury University program requirements. 

1.  Students must first be approved by Asbury University before registering for an affiliate course.  Students should consult with their advisor for information on the procedure. Approval is granted by the academic department or office over the program.   

2.  Process for registration varies by program.  The student may be required to complete an application at the affiliate school for admission as a visiting student. 

Current programs with affiliate classes:

EDS courses for Moderate & Severe Disability Education – See School of Education

EMA courses for Engineering Math program – See Mathematics Department

ATS seminary courses for Master of Social Work – See MSW Office

AMS or AFS courses – See ROTC

  • For the course to be added to the Asbury registration, and included in the credits and tuition for the semester, verification of enrollment in the affiliate class at the other school must be provided to the registrar’s office either by the student or the overseeing department.   Students may be asked to provide a copy of their class schedule and tuition bill from the affiliate school showing the classes for which they have registered. 
  • In most cases, student will pay the tuition to Asbury at the usual rate for the credits enrolled.  Through the cooperation agreement, Asbury University arranges to transfer payment of tuition for the class at the affiliate institution.  If tuition at the affiliate institution is higher than Asbury tuition, student will be charged that amount.  Student is responsible to pay any required course fees at the affiliate institution associated with the course. 
  • Unless otherwise arranged as part of the affiliate program, the student is required to request an official transcript from the affiliate institution to be sent to Asbury University registrar for the course grade to be entered on the record at Asbury. Any applicable fees associated with transcript requests are the responsibility of the student.  If transcripts are not requested and received by 60 days after the close of the term, all affiliate course grades left ‘in process’ may revert to withdrawn, “W”.


Off-Campus Programs And Study Abroad Courses [TUG]

Asbury University offers traditional undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in a variety of off-campus, semester long programs both within the United States and abroad.  See the Global Engagement Office (GEO) for Study Abroad and Off-Campus Programs procedures, and requirements for application and registration in these courses.


Qualified undergraduate seniors who demonstrate outstanding scholastic ability, may be permitted to enroll for a graduate course (500-level) simultaneously with undergraduate courses. (Specific graduate programs may have stricter regulations.) The following stipulations apply:

  1. Student must be classified as a senior (90.0 credit hours) when taking a 500-level course.
  2. Student must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA.
  3. Student must have satisfied all prerequisites for the graduate course. [Completion of pre-requisites for enrollment in graduate courses will be monitored by the Graduate School admissions advisor.]
  4. No more than one graduate course may be taken at a time.
  5. Student may take up to 9 credits at the 500-level during the undergraduate senior year prior to completing the bachelor’s degree.  Note: Specific graduate programs may have stricter limitations on number of pre-graduation credits allowed.
  6. A 500-level graduate course may not count in the major in both the bachelor’s degree and in the master’s degree.  A 500-level course that is to be reserved for the master’s program may not be used for undergraduate elective credit to reach the 124.0 credit requirement.
  7. The 500-level course must earn a grade of B or better in the undergraduate registration to be eligible to transfer to the graduate program.
  8. The GPA of graduate courses taken at the undergraduate level does not transfer to or add to the graduate program GPA.



In the programs that have modular classes which have classes starting later in the term students may have the option to exchange future courses which have not yet begun. 

  1. The exchange must occur prior to the start date of both courses involved.
  2. Both courses involved in the exchange must be worth the same number of credits. 
  3. Students must contact the registrar’s office to make this adjustment to their official registration.
  4. Students should not attend courses for which they are not registered officially. 



Traditional Undergraduate Course Registration Only

  • Students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate program who are at least 62 years of age and who are U.S. citizens may receive a waiver of tuition for a maximum of 4.0 credit hours per academic semester (including summer).  This does not apply to APS or Graduate registrations.
  • The following stipulations apply: (1) the waiver includes only tuition and does not apply to other fees; (2) if the person desires to audit the class all the rules and restrictions for audited courses apply, but the $40 per credit hour audit cost is waived. (3) If the person desires credit for the class, all pre-requisites and requirements must be met; (4) credits earned may apply toward a degree program; (5) housing must be secured off campus.
  • Senior citizens auditing classes are not required to submit final official transcripts for admission as an auditor. Those taking courses for credit are required to submit final official transcript as part of the admission process.



Registering to repeat a course requires assistance from the registrar’s office. [See Repeat Course Policy under Grades section.]



Contract courses are defined as all non‑classroom instruction for which credit is given. This includes some courses with scheduled times, but the majority will require arranged times for meeting with faculty.  The contract course is usually arranged on demand on a student by student basis. Contract courses include but are not limited to: Independent Studies, Directed Studies, Directed Substitutions, Practicum, and Internships.

General Contract Procedures

1. All contract courses must be set up under the control of an appropriately completed contract between student and instructor with approval of the department chair of the program using the course.

2. The completed course contract requires the approval of the faculty member, the advisor, the department chair, and the Dean of the appropriate college/school prior to submission.

3. A student may register for a contract course by submitting a contract, appropriately approved, to the Registrar's Office prior to the drop/add deadline for the term.

4. All contract courses will be subject to the same policies as regular classroom courses with reference to Drop/Add and submission of grades deadlines.


Contracted Independent/Directed Studies

INDEPENDENT AND DIRECTED STUDIES are for students at junior or senior standing, and are differentiated by the amount of faculty time invested.

1. Independent Study is individualized study of a topic of interest beyond the content of regular course offerings, involving a minimum of 1 – 3 meetings with instructor per semester. 

2. Directed Study is a faculty directed study of a topic of interest beyond the content of regular course offerings, involving a minimum of 50 minutes per week with instructor during semester. 

Requirements and Limitations:

  • Independent studies used as requirements in a major or minor should have specific pre-requisites and maximum credits limitations set by the department.
  • Each department may limit the number of credit hours a student may take as independent or directed study, and may set additional requirements for an independent or directed study in their department.
  • In addition to hours counting toward a major or minor, no more than 9 elective semester hours of the 124  semester hours required for a degree may be earned through independent studies with no more than 6 semester hours of any one prefix.
  • All independent study work on the 300 level presumes at least 12 semester hours of classroom instruction with the same prefix as a pre-requisite.
  • All independent study work on the 400 level presumes at least 18 semester hours of classroom instruction with the same prefix as a pre-requisite. 
  • All students seeking to take independent study must be juniors and have a 2.75 grade point average. 
  • A student may not take more than 3 semester hours of independent study outside the major or minor in any one semester.


Contracted Directed Substitutions

  • A junior or senior needing a course in their major/minor which is not currently being offered or is in schedule conflict may seek approval from the appropriate Dean/Department Chair and instructor for permission to register for a directed substitution of the needed course using the course’s regular syllabus. The following factors will govern the decisions, which will be made by the Dean/Department Chair:

validity of need (i.e. required for graduation)

inability to substitute an offered course

availability of a teacher

student’s ability and willingness to meet the demands of directed study

  • Directed Substitutions will use the regular course’s number and description, and involve a minimum of 50 minutes per week with instructor during semester. 


Contracted Internships/Practicum

  • Courses based on time spent in practical experience, are required in several major or minor programs.  Requirements for these courses are under the major department’s control and approval. 
  • Students should work with their advisor and department chair to establish an internship’s requirements in hours, location, and graded documentation.
  • Students are required to register for an internship during the academic term within which the internship activity ends when grades will be expected. 



1. A senior in a traditional undergraduate program with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.25 may take up to 4 semester hours per semester of general elective credit on a pass/fail basis.

2. Courses under this option may not be in the student’s major or minor department and may not be used to meet any major, minor, or foundational requirements.

3. The decision to take a course pass/fail must be made by the end of the Drop/Add period and may not be subsequently changed.

4. The pass/fail student will be identified to the faculty member. The student must meet the same requirements as other students enrolled in the course. This is not an audit.

5. A grade of C or higher is required to pass with a grade of P.  Failing to receive a grade of C or higher will result in the lower grade of C-, D, or F.

6. A grade of P does not affect the GPA.  A grade of D or F does affect the GPA.



1. PED 100 is a pre-requisite for all PE activity courses except for PE 108 Varsity Sports

2. PED 100 and one credit hour of physical activity (PE or KHP) is required for graduation in a traditional undergraduate program.  This activity course should be completed by the end of the sophomore year.  

3. No more than one (1) semester hour of PE credit may be taken in any one semester.  

4. The letter grades received in the physical education activity classes will be included in determining GPA.

5. No more than four semester hours total of physical education activity courses (PE prefix) may apply toward graduation.  This includes credit for Varsity Athletics (PE 108) and KHP 107.



1.  A student must contact the Registrar’s Office to withdraw from any class.  Email 

The instructor cannot withdraw the student, so notifying the instructor does not constitute official withdrawal. A student who stops attending a class without giving official withdrawal notice to the registrar’s office will remain registered and receive an "F" in that course at the end of the semester.  

2. Any full-time student wishing to withdraw/drop a course that leaves them completing less than full-time hours must be cleared by the Registrar prior to withdrawal.  Students completing below full-time hours may have their financial aid reduced, and should, therefore, check with financial aid before making the decision to withdraw the course.

3. Students may not unregister/cancel enrollment in a class after the Drop/Add period for their program; they can only withdraw from the class.  The class and hours remain on the schedule as part of their original registered hours for billing and financial aid. 

4. A grade of "W" is recorded on the transcript for any withdrawn course.  The course will not factor into the calculation of the GPA, but may factor into progress for financial aid.

5. Students receive no refund of tuition and fees for an individual course which is withdrawn after the official Drop/Add date unless completely withdrawing from all courses at the institution. 

6. Students must withdraw before their program’s posted last day to withdraw without an “F” as listed in the academic calendar, or before two thirds of the class period has passed for modular classes.  After that point student must receive the earned grade for the class.

  1. Traditional Undergraduate Students must withdraw before the published “last day to withdraw from a class with a grade of W” in the academic calendar for each semester.   
  2. APS and Graduate Students must withdraw from a class before 2/3 of the class sessions have elapsed.   (See also the option for Course Exchanges for modular classes that start later in the term listed under Course Registration in Academic Policies)  

7. Students in APS or Graduate program who wish to withdraw from the beginning or middle modular courses in a semester should contact financial aid to insure continuation of aid in classes that follow the withdrawn class in the semester.

8. Once a course ends and a grade is recorded the course may not be withdrawn.


2015/16  BULLETIN    08/17/2015