What to Bring When Moving to Asbury
We recommend that you contact your roommate before purchasing larger shared items for your dorm room.
What you should bring…
- Residence Hall Linens: Asbury University has extra long mattresses, so you’ll want to buy “Twin XL” sheets. These can be found at most chain stores – Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, etc. Also, we have partnered with Residence Hall Linens since 2005. They offer a variety of custom-sized linens guaranteed to fit your residence hall bed and to last until graduation. They also provide many other items that you may want to check out.
- “Egg Carton” foam pad for bed
- Storage/Organization bins
- Shower Caddy
- Iron (ironing boards are available in the residence halls)
- Laundry basket, high efficience laundry detergent
- Telephone (if you plan to use the on-campus phone system). There is one phone jack per room. The campus phone system includes a private voicemail box for each student. A room phone is a matter of personal choice but is a good idea if you have no cell phone or have limited minutes on your plan.
- Alarm clock, etc.
- Power strip/surge protector
- Sticky Tack or Command Strips for hanging things on the wall – no nails
You may want to bring…
- Drying rack
- Television (there is one cable TV jack per room)
- Lamp (No halogen lamps)
- Dorm-sized cube refrigerator – one per room permitted – 2.0 cubic feet, 2.0 amps. There may be slight differences in the cubic feet, but the limit on amps is 2.0.
- Personal Computer/Laptop – click here for helpful tips from our Information Technology Services office.
What you should NOT bring…
- Toaster, Toaster Over, Microwave Oven, etc. State health and fire regulations prohibit cooking in individual rooms. Appliances with a heating element, including irons, popcorn poppers and coffee makers, are permitted only in designated areas.
- Wireless internet will be available in the dorms, and there are internet ports in the walls. Wireless routers are not necessary.
- Hallogen lamps are not permitted in the dormitory rooms. Regular desk lamps are fine.
- Extension cords are not permitted in Glide-Crawford; power strips only.
- Personal Loft or materials to build one. All of our dormitory beds are loftable.