Asbury Admissions Counselors Recruit on the Road
August 3, 2016
If you’ve ever been on Asbury University’s campus, you already know that Asbury’s admissions counselors are knowledgeable, friendly and committed to helping students navigate their college search. Here’s something you might not know — starting this week, counselors begin travel assignments that will take them everywhere from the East Coast to East Asia.
See below for counselors’ initial travel schedules or call Asbury’s Admissions office —(859) 858-3511, ext. 2142 — to contact a counselor in your area.
In cities throughout the U.S. and around the world, counselors will meet with prospective students and their families at college fairs, churches, schools and even coffee shops, sharing information about Asbury and helping students explore their options.
“People don’t always realize the breadth of how far we go,” said Jeremiah Gonia ’14, an admissions counselor at Asbury. “We’re a small college in Central Kentucky, but we recruit in Texas, Florida, New Jersey and everywhere in between.”
For Gonia, a highlight of travelling for admissions is the opportunity to make personal connections with students and their families — just one example of Asbury’s commitment to living in community.
“It really says something when you can meet with a family at a local coffee shop and get intentional about their interests,” Gonia said. “Person to person, we can actually sit down and have a conversation about the University and what we offer as far as academic excellence and spiritual vitality.”
In his second year as an admissions counselor, Gonia looks forward to reconnecting with students and families he’s already met, as well as introducing new students to Asbury.
“One of the best parts of traveling with admissions is making connections with the families who have never heard about Asbury,” Gonia said. “I’m able to tell them about this school, and when they actually come for a visit they’re blown away by how incredible this place is. Those are some of my favorite stories.”
Below is an initial travel schedule for Asbury’s admissions counselors. Look over the list to contact a counselor in your area, or call Asbury’s Admissions Office at: (859) 858-3511, ext. 2142.
Jeremiah Gonia (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Aug. 24 — Owensboro College Fair (Owensboro, Ky.)
- Sept. 7-10 — Louisville, Ky.
- Sept. 12-16 — Western Kentucky
- Sept. 19 — NACCAP Fair (Louisville, Ky.)
- Sept. 27-29 — Southern Indiana, Indianapolis, Ind.
- Oct. 4-8 — Greater Chicago area
Jarred Miller (email@example.com)
- Oct. 11-15 — NACAAP Fair (Toronto, Ontario)
- Oct. 20-26 — Seoul, South Korea
- Oct. 27 — Taipei, Taiwan
Greg Bowling (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sept. 13 — Henry and Shelby County, Ky.
- Sept. 15 — KYACAC Fair (Danville, Ky.)
- Sept. 18-21 — NACCAP Fair, (Austin, Texas)
- Oct. 5 KYACAC Madison County Regional College Fair (Richmond, Ky.)
- Oct. 24-26 — NACCAP Fair (Augusta, Ga).
Holland Michael (email@example.com)
- Sept. 20 — NACCAP Fair (Lexington, Ky.)
- Oct 3. — KYACAC Fairs (Lexington, Ky.)
- Nov. 17 — KYACAC Fair (Versailles, Ky.)
Kaity Scanlan (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Sept. 12-14 — Ohio
- Sept. 22 — Morehead State College Fair (Morehead, Ky.)
- Sept. 20 — Northern Kentucky University College Fair (Highland Heights, Ky.)
- Sept. 21 — Mason County Fair (Maysville, Ky.)
- Sept. 23 — Ashland College Fair (Ashland, Ky.)
- Sept. 26-27 — Eastern Kentucky University College Fair (Richmond, Ky.)
- Oct. 4 — Lee Powell County High School College Fair (Beattyville, Ky.)
- Oct. 4 — Powell County High School College Fair (Stanton, Ky.)
- Oct. 18 — Southeastern Kentucky Fair
To learn more about Asbury and to apply, visit: asbury.edu/admissions