How to Apply to Youth Becoming Leaders
Please read our COVID-19 Updates.
Become the leader God has called you to be when you join other high school students who are committed to Christ, leaders in their community,academically gifted, and discerning God’s direction for their life. Eligible students must have finished 9th grade by June 2020 and have a GPA of 3.3 or higher.*
Application Process for Youth Becoming Leaders
Students are asked to complete a threefold application process to be considered for acceptance into the program:
- Complete the application
- Identify a mentor from your home church/community that will commit to journeying through a mentor relationship for the next year. Have this potential mentor fill out the Youth Becoming Leaders Mentor and Reference Form and submit by March 15, 2020. Acceptance to the YBL program will be granted as early as February 15.
- Applicants will be asked to memorize a Scripture passage – Luke 10:25-37 – that connects with the theme of Youth Becoming Leaders. (You will be asked to submit a video of yourself reciting the verses.)
Turn in all application materials (online application, mentor & reference form, and video of Scripture memorization) by Friday, March 15, 2020.
If students are then accepted into the Youth Becoming Leaders program they will need to:
- Complete a short personality inventory which will be used in placing participants into small groups and assisting in leadership development. (A link to this inventory will be sent to the email address you enter below upon submission of the application information.) Deadline April 15, 2020.
- Complete a short online pre-event assessment. (This assessment will be emailed to the participant in late spring. It will be important for the participants to be aware of and respond to all email communication from Asbury University about the Youth Becoming Leaders program.) Deadline April 15, 2020.
- Submit payment of $500 to Asbury University. Deadline April 15, 2020.
- Read a short book that will be referenced during the institute. (Upon acceptance into the program Asbury University will send this book to the participant’s mailing address listed below.) Deadline to have the book read, June 7, 2020.
*Students who do not meet the GPA requirement but who demonstrate strong leadership abilities and whose reference is able to speak to their fitness for the academic rigor of the program will still be considered.
**Youth Becoming Leaders requires acceptance through an application process (application coming soon) that includes; a minimum GPA of 3.3, demonstration of leadership in the local community, reference letters, and memorizing scripture. The true cost of Youth Becoming Leaders is around $4,000 per student. Students who enroll at Asbury will also be able to receive three credits of academic elective credit to be applied toward general liberal arts degree completion. The low cost of $500 is enabled because Youth Becoming Leaders is funded through generous gifts and grants from Carson-Myer Foundation, Lilly Endowment, Asbury Theological Seminary, Asbury University, and individual donors. You can donate here to help support this program.
***This initiative will also include a post-residential program curriculum that includes elements to be completed with their mentor. Mentors will be brought in for the final 24 hours of the residential program for training and to refine a ministry project to be completed by the student in the months following. There will be no cost to the mentor for this trip.