English Language Center
To apply to Asbury University as an International Student please visit: International Admissions
The Global Engagement Office serves as Asbury University’s primary center for English language study for international undergraduate students seeking to strengthen their English language skills, learn about American culture and prepare themselves for academic success in higher education in the United States.
Through the English Language Center, we offer an Intensive Program that is a university-based language program created with the purpose of preparing students intending to complete an undergraduate degree at Asbury University. It will be a semester-long residential program for incoming freshman students with strong academic records but who require additional support to increase their English proficiency level.
Students will be conditionally admitted and would need to successfully complete their IP semester of English language courses in order to begin to take their general education courses – what we call Foundational requirements – along with possible pre-requisite courses. Foundational courses are required for all undergraduate degree-seeking students and they work in concert with a student’s degree related requirements.
While improving their overall English skills and preparing for a liberal arts education, students would be fully immersed on campus and in the heart of America. Asbury University is located in a very safe and welcoming environment, surrounded by the picturesque natural settings of Central Kentucky, and near Lexington, Ky., which is known as the “Horse Capital of the World.” There are many opportunities to learn about U.S. history, see the local economy at work, visit cities and cultural centers, and enjoy the great outdoors. Students in the program would also have many opportunities to make friends with American classmates, spend time with faculty and staff members, and also meet local host families.
The English Language Center’s Intensive Program will provide:
- 17 hours of instruction per week by ELC instructors who have their graduate degrees in TESOL, are well qualified to help international students master English and adjust to life in the United States.
- Academic and intercultural advisement by the assigned faculty advisor, Global Engagement Office and the Student Development staff members.
- Two-weeks of ELC orientation, Intercultural Student Orientation and New Student Orientation with the incoming freshmen class of students.
- Student-centered and interactive classroom environments with guest speakers, workshops, conversation partners and field trips.
- Classes on the Asbury’s campus with access to all facilities, including the library, physical activities center, clubs and organizations, resident halls, dining services and the Center for Academic Excellence, which is a writing and tutoring center.
- Students with visas advising, arrival assistance, adjustment and personal assistance, as well as other programs and activities.
Sample Daily Schedule
8:15 – 9:45 a.m. Core Courses (Written Communication) (4x week)
10 – 10:50 a.m. Chapel (MWF), Integrated Skills: Learning the English Language through Mass Media (TueTh) (3x week)
11 – 11:30 a.m. Integrated Skills: Faith, Culture, & the University (2x week)
1 – 2:30 p.m. Core Courses (Oral Communication) (4x week)
*Writing Tutor (1 hour), Listening Lab (1 hour) and Conversation Partner (1 hour) scheduled weekly