The admissions policies include admitting "only candidates who have earned a bachelor's degree". There is a specific admissions policy that does not allow for the granting "credit for life experience or previous work experience". There is also an admissions policy that advanced standing status "is only awarded to graduates of baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE. The specific policies which will be included in the catalog and the student handbook & field manual are as follows:
Admission Policy - Bachelor's degree
In reviewing applicants' files, the MSW Admissions Committee will only "act" on files in which applicants have had an official transcript sent from the institution where they completed their bachelor's degree. It will also be determined, prior to reviewing the file for admission, whether this degree-granting institution is accredited by a regional accrediting body for higher education e.g. Southern Association of Colleges & Schools.
Admissions Policy - Life Experience
Academic credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.
Admissions Policy - Advanced Standing Status
In order for applicants to be considered for admissions to the advanced standing program, they must meet minimally the following requirements:
- Completed an undergraduate degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with an overall GPA of at least 3.25. CSWE requires that students have a plan to finish the MSW within ten years of completing a BSW from an accredited program to be eligible for advanced standing status.
- Completed an undergraduate Statistics course.
- Have recommendations completed, a specific writing sample, and an autobiography that demonstrate readiness to begin at the advanced level of graduate education and advanced social work practice.
- Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is completed.
Admissions Policy - Transfer Credit
Graduate credit earned in accredited graduate schools and carrying a grade of B+ or better will be transferable towards an advanced degree at Asbury University to the extent that the student can demonstrate correspondence to course(s) in the Asbury degree program and pending approval of the MSW Admissions Committee. This correspondence can be demonstrated by students providing the MSW Admissions Committee with course descriptions, course syllabi and completed assignments for the course being considered for transfer credit. Only elective courses hours can be transferred from a program other than a CSWE-accredited MSW program.
A maximum of 12 credits taken by students on a non-matriculated basis may be transferred toward the 60-credit MSW degree requirement. Transfer courses may be accepted for credit if they have been completed five years from the time of acceptance into the MSW Program. Applicants to the two-year program may transfer up to one full year of credit from another CSWE-accredited MSW program in which they were matriculated as a graduate student in good standing. A minimum of 30 credits of graduate coursework is required from Asbury University.
Admissions Policy - International Students
1. All international students are admitted to the Standard Program on a three year plan.The only exceptions are for students who have graduated from a college or university in the United States (or Canada, Great Britain, Australia, or New Zealand ) or have worked in the United States for 1-3 years.