Emphasis in Adventure Leadership
The Adventure Leadership emphasis within the Recreation major at Asbury is uniquely designed to allow students to remain fully immersed in the Asbury community while still receiving technical training in a large variety of field based pursuits.
- Adventure Leadership is an experiential program designed to combine the theories and practices behind experiential education. Theoretical courses in Experiential Education, Outdoor Education, Stewardship, and Leadership are merged with technical courses in Rock Climbing, Canoeing, Caving, Wilderness Travel, and Wilderness medicine.
- Students will receive certifications in Wilderness First Responder, Challenge Course Facilitation, and a variety of field experiences including leadership opportunities for outside groups.
- The essence of the program's design is learning through experience, giving students opportunities to lead in actual hands-on adventure education and wilderness endeavors. During their study, students will participate in a block semester developed to allow complete immersion in the subject matter. This block centers around the adventure leadership aspect of the major, allowing students to focus on field experience, certification courses, small group dynamics, and technical skills application in their courses.
- Students interested in camp ministry, outdoor and guiding professions, wilderness therapy, experiential education, and environmental education would find this major highly beneficial to their pursuits. Additionally, students desiring practical leadership experience should consider this minor as a valuable addition to majors in business, communications and others.
- For more information please contact Trent Ellsworth, Director, Center for Adventure Leadership, or call 859-858-3511 x2491.