WE ARE ONLY ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THE ADVANCED STANDING PROGRAM. ONLY PERSONS WITH A BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN SOCIAL WORK FROM A CSWE ACCREDITED COLLEGE CAN APPLY. The last 2 start terms are Spring or Summer of 2018. If you DO NOT have a BSW, you are unable to apply to our MSW program.
Below is the list of items necessary to complete an application to Asbury University’s Master of Social Work program. All documents for your application must be received no later than one month before the first day of the term in which you intend to enroll. By completing the application online, everything will come directly to our office and you will also be notified when we receive your documents. When you submit the online application, you should see the list of documents you need. Listed below are descriptions of those items, which you may want to look over before completing the application.
- Complete the Online Application
- Please read this document before signing the MSW Mission Statement form.
Online Character/Fitness Form and Mission Statement (by completing the online character/fitness form and mission statement, items 2 and 3 are completed together).
- We require an official transcript from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. If your college(s) do not use the National Clearinghouse or an electronic method of delivery to Asbury, please have them mailed to: Asbury MSW Department, Asbury University, One Macklem Drive, Wilmore, KY 40390. These MUST be issued to Asbury and NOT to the student.
- Please read the Autobiographical Statement form and then e-mail your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org or upload to your online application.
7. Three Letters of Recommendation
- Academic reference
- Work-related reference
- Character reference (not from a family member)
You will be requested to give the names and email addresses of these persons when submitting your online application. They will receive notification and also will get a link to complete the form.
8. Possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a car for transportation to field practicum location.
Additional Admission Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program
In order for applicants to be considered for admissions to the advanced standing program, they must meet the following minimal requirements:
1. Completed an undergraduate degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with an overall GPA of at least 3.25. CSWE requires that students have a plan to finish the MSW within ten years of completing a BSW from an accredited program to be eligible for advanced standing status.
2. Completed an undergraduate Statistics course. (Psychology and Sociology prerequisites not required for students with a BSW.)
4. Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is submitted. (A copy of the final Field Evaluation Form is required once the field placement is completed.)
Because our Master of Social Work Program is phasing out in two (2) years, May of 2019, international students can no longer apply to our program. (We required international students to take 3 years to complete our MSW.)