CCE Syllabus – New Students Fall 2020
View the full Syllabus CCE 150 (PDF).
1.5 Credit hours total: CCE150 (1 credit hour) + CCE150EX (0.5 credit hour)
CCE150 – Cultural Engagement & Responsibility (1 credit hour)
This course will prepare students to understand their own ethnicity and cultural background. Additionally, students will be equipped to identify cultural realities and be prepared to adapt, understand, and communicate across cultural boundaries. This course brings the mission of Asbury University to equip students for leadership and service to the professions, society, the family and the Church, preparing them to engage their cultures and advance the cause of Christ around the world into clear focus. Finally, this course will prepare students to fulfill their CCE graduation requirement in a culturally responsible way.
CCE150EX – Cultural Immersion Experience (0.5 credit hours)
This requirement will be completed through an international or stateside Cultural Immersion Experience. Institutional credit for the final 0.5 credits will be awarded upon completion.
- Location: Proposed by the student, to be approved through the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office
- Duration: Immersive experience in another culture for at least 6 nights and 7 days
- Approval: Must be submitted and approved by the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office PRIOR to departure
- Reflection Paper: To be submitted to the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office
- Debrief: Opportunities will be available after the immersive experience
- Assessment: Link will be provided in Discovery
- Deadline: Assignments for CCE150EX must be completed within 3 months of the completion of the Cultural Immersion Experience.
Student Learning Outcomes
CCE150 Cultural Engagement and Responsibility is a key component of Asbury’s institution-wide initiative, Embrace. This course is developed to enhance the student’s learning experience at Asbury. The following is a representation of the learning outcomes:
- Students will articulate a Biblical understanding of cultural diversity
- Students will be able to define cultural responsibility
- Students will demonstrate understanding of one’s own cultural identity
- Students will be able to interpret one’s own direct experience of cultural identity
- Students will demonstrate empathy and awareness in interpersonal interactions
- Students will be able to better engage cultures outside their own
- Students will conduct self-appraisal to enhance cultural awareness
- Students will display humility in inter- and intra-cultural interaction