CCE Syllabus – New Students Fall 2020
View the full Syllabus CCE 150 (PDF).
1.5 Credit hours total: CCE 150 (1 credit hour) + CCE 150 EX (0.5 credit hour)
CCE 150 – Cultural Engagement and Responsibility (1 credit hour)
This course will prepare students to understand their own ethnicity and cultural background. Additionally, students will be equipped to identify cultural realities and be prepared to adapt, understand, and communicate across cultural boundaries. This course brings the mission of Asbury University to equip students for leadership and service to the professions, society, the family and the Church, preparing them to engage their cultures and advance the cause of Christ around the world into clear focus. Finally, this course will prepare students to fulfill their CCE graduation requirement in a culturally responsible way.
CCE 150 EX – Cultural Immersion Experience (0.5 credit hours)
This requirement will be completed through a domestic or international cultural engagement experience. Institutional credit for final 0.5 credits will be awarded upon completion.
- Location: Proposed by the student, to be approved through the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office
- Duration: Immersive experience in another culture for at least 6 nights and 7 days
- Approval: Must be submitted and approved by the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office
- Paper: To be submitted to the Cross-Cultural Engagement Office
- Debrief: Opportunities will be available after the immersive experience
- Deadline: CCE 150 EX must be completed within 12 months of the CCE 150 course.
Student Learning Outcomes
CCE 150 Cultural Engagement and Responsibility is a key component of Asbury’s institution-wide initiative, Embrace. This course is developed to enhance the student’s learning experience at Asbury. The following is a representation of the learning outcomes:
- Students will articulate a Biblical understanding of cultural diversity
- Students will be able to define cultural responsibility
- Students will demonstrate understanding of one’s own cultural identity
- Students will be able to interpret one’s own direct experience of cultural identity
- Students will demonstrate empathy and awareness in interpersonal interactions
- Students will be able to better engage cultures outside their own
- Students will conduct self-appraisal to enhance cultural awareness
- Students will display humility in inter- and intra-cultural interactions
- Students who complete the Cross-Cultural Engagement requirements before the end of the semester will earn 1.5 credit hour, having completed both segments of the course (CCE 150 plus CCE 150 EX).
- Students who do not complete the Cross-Cultural Engagement immersion (CCE 150 EX) before the end of the semester will earn a letter grade for the 1 credit hour CCE 150 at the time grades are due for their enrolled term. These students will be given 12 months from the end of the term to satisfy the outstanding CCE 150 EX cross-cultural engagement assignment.
- Once this is rectified, students will be assigned a credit/no credit grade for the remaining portion of the class. If the student passes, this will be reported to the Registrar’s Office, who will enter the remaining 0.5 credit hours as CCE 150 EX directly onto the student’s transcript.
- Students who fail to satisfy all requirements within the 12-month duration will be determined as a no-pass in CCE 150 EX and will be required to retake CCE 150 in a future term.