Service Desk Generalist – Fall 2022
Service Desk Generalist – Fall 2022
The Generalist position is at the center of Asbury’s I.T. Services providing critical communication and transparency to the campus community while facilitating the escalation of technology issues to higher tiers of support. The core function of the generalist is to quickly discern what can be solved at the Service Desk and what issues need to be escalated through a ticket after gathering appropriate information.
Those also includes the opportunity for promotion into other areas including A/V event support, graphic design, classroom technology, computer repair, and administration.
Duties of the Generalist
- Provide customer service for Information Technology Services.
- Greeting patrons who walk in or call the Service Desk.
- Assisting patrons with their needs by providing Tier 1 support (Basic user issues including those in the generalist 30 documents).
- Entering information into the ticketing system and sorting incoming tickets into the appropriate groups.
- Assessment and escalation of support issues to the appropriate staff using proper communication channels.
- Ticket any issues not readily solved within the first 5 minutes of the interaction.
- Use urgency and impact metrics to facilitate ticket triaging.
- Identify trends and patterns in support and report patterns to the Support Specialist or Manager. Especially in determining possible wide-scale issues and problems
- Basic troubleshooting of common issues in person/over phone/through email.
- Resolve simple user issues that can be easily corrected by the Generalist through the use of proper documentation and instruction.
- Provide support for macOS, Windows, Portal, Microsoft Office, and other software services.
- Provide internet connectivity support for campus devices.
- Print and Provide Asbury University Eagle ID cards to members of the campus community.
- Maintain the integrity of the Asbury University Eagle ID program through verification of patron identity.
- Verify patron photos are up to date and that photos comply with Id card policy.
- Troubleshoot basic ID card issues.
- Project Work under supervision of the I.T. Services Staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Basic understanding of either Windows or MacOS.
- Typing 45 wpm.
- Strong understanding of either Windows or MacOS and basic understanding of both.
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office products.
- Basic understanding of viruses, malware, spyware and phishing scams.
- Telephone support and customer service experience.
- Basic networking experience.
- Computer hardware experience.
- Basic audio/visual support experience.
- This position reports to the Service Desk Coordinator directly and through the Service Desk Team Leads.
Supervision of Others
- High School Diploma or GED required. Those enrolled in Asbury Academy may apply and be hired conditional to their graduation and enrollment at Asbury University in the Undergraduate/Graduate Programs.
- During the fall and spring semesters, a minimum of 8 hours is required with normal assigned hours falling between 8-12 hours per week.
- 1-year commitment minimum is requested.
- Paid training is required of all personnel. Exceptions granted only by the Manager.
- Schedules are determined on a semester by semester basis and are aligned to class schedules.
- Summer employment is determined by the area coordinator.
Interested parties may contact Johnson Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Type: Student
Deadline: Until Filled