Distance Services and Research Librarian
Job Title: Distance Services and Research Librarian
Reports to: Director of Library Services
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Nature of Duties:
The Distance Services and Research Librarian provides research assistance to both online and on-campus students, faculty, and staff through purchasing materials, providing instructional class sessions and guided tours, and holding one-on-one research meetings. An important part of the position is supporting the mission of the University and advancing the academic excellence and spiritual vitality of our university and students. Each employee plays an important role in the development of the Christian faith in our students.
Nature of Duties:
- Distance Services
- Provides and promotes library support services to all online students, staff, and faculty.
- Develops and maintains library web presence, web technologies, and instructional materials for online education.
- Research Services
- Assists patrons with reference questions, research, and with using access tools and information resources.
- Provides research project consultations with on-campus and online faculty and students.
- Under the coordination of the Assistant Director of Library Services, participates in online and face-to-face instructional programs to promote library collections and services.
- Collections Management
- Oversees all aspects of Technical Services, including acquisitions, serials, cataloging, and collection development.
- Catalogs all monographs, serials, audio-visual, and Special Collections materials according to RDA and AACR2, Revised and LC standards.
- Collaborates with faculty and staff to develop collections and resources to support on- campus and online learning programs.
- Coordinates the development of electronic resources, including electronic databases, e-journals, e-books, and emerging technologies.
- Prepares an annual summary, statistical and evaluative, of all activities.
- Serves as a collection development liaison to at least one of the university’s schools providing recommendations for purchases and resources.
- Participates as an active member of the Asbury University faculty.
- ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library and/or Information
Experience and Training:
- Evidence of a committed and dynamic Christian faith along with the ability to support the University’s theological position, lifestyle standards, and mission.
- 1-3 years professional reference or instruction experience in an academic library, preferably in a liberal arts setting.
- Demonstrated ability to instruct residential and online university students in the use of library resources, both electronic and print.
- Strong commitment to information literacy, customer service, and support of the academic and research needs of students, faculty, and staff.
- Knowledge of online databases, electronic resources, and integrated library systems (ILS) as applied to the academic library setting.
- Experience preferred as an embedded librarian, instructional designer, or help desk technician in learning management systems.
- Experience preferred in developing online tutorials.
- Proven team-player in a highly collaborative environment.
- Advanced proficiency in descriptive cataloging, subject classification of materials in all formats, and the Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated knowledge of RDA, AACR2R, MARC format, Dewey classification, authority control and bibliographic utilities.
- Meticulous attention to detail, efficiency, and thoroughness.
- Ability to communicate effectively with various academic constituencies.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment.
- Proven initiative and self-direction.
- Must be available to work evenings and weekends.
Works independently, under the direct supervision of the Director of Library Services.
Supervision of Others:
Directly supervises the Collections Manager and indirectly student workers.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Asbury University is an independent, Christian, liberal arts university in the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition. In the desire to be a more inclusive community, reflective of the Kingdom of God, we especially encourage applications from women and from candidates from various ethnic backgrounds. At Asbury University, employees must display a committed and dynamic Christian faith along with the ability to support the University’s theological position, lifestyle standards, and mission. Candidates must agree, support and adhere to University policies and procedures – including the Faculty Manual, Community Standards Guidelines, Human Sexuality Statement, and the Standard of Conduct for employees. Asbury University does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, or handicap in its educational programs, activities, or employment practices.
Interested candidates should email a letter of interest, curriculum vitae, and a statement describing the current vitality of your personal Christian faith to email@example.com or mail to:
1 Macklem Drive
Wilmore, KY 40390
Job Type: Faculty
Deadline: Until Filled