Dr. Nick Placido
Chair, Social Work Department
Department: Social Work
Office: MO 200
Phone Extension: 2390
I am a middle aged East Coaster, who is the grandson of Italian immigrants who came to this country at the turn of the last century via Ellis Island. In my freshman year at Houghton College, I was led to Christ. It was also where I met Anita, my wife of over 30 years.
I spent 10 years as a teacher of a traditional third grade class, a class of learning disabled students, and an accelerated fifth and sixth grade class.
I completed my MSW education in the Graduate School of Social Work at Florida State University. My practicum experiences included working with cancer patients on the oncology ward of a regional hospital, and crisis intervention in a local community mental health agency.
Upon graduation, I continued working for that agency in the same capacity until transferring to one of their rural clinics 30 miles away. For the next nine and a half years I worked as a caseworker, therapist, and supervisor of a partial hospital program in that community. In 1996, my family and I moved to the Chicago area to continue my graduate education as I pursued my master’s and doctorate in clinical psychology. While a student, I was employed in a local community hospital as a crisis and intake counselor. Upon graduation I worked with the Chicago Christian Counseling Center for six years as a therapist and for the last year as their Director of Training.
My wife and I live in Wilmore, KY. Both our children are grown and married. As for hobbies, I enjoy flying two-line stunt kites, and Civil War history.
August 2002 – Doctor of Clinical Psychology, Wheaton College
August 1998 to May 2000 – 30 hours toward Master of Theology (Integrative courses for Psy.D.), Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois
August 1998 – Master of Psychology, Wheaton College
May 1987 – Master of Social Work (clinical track), Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
May 1976 – Bachelor of Arts, Houghton College, Houghton, New York. Majors: Psychology, Elementary Ed
Courses Taught :
- SW211 – Social Services Systems
- SW251 – Human Behavior and Social Environment I
- SW252 – Human Behavior and Social Environment II
- SW340 – Social Work Practicum I
- SW 402 – Social Welfare Policy
- SW410 – Social Work Practice II
- SW440 – Social Work Practicum II
- SW540 – Social Work Policy (MSW)
- SW570 – Social Work Practice II (MSW)
- SW580 – Social Work and Theology (MSW)
- SW590 – Field Seminar II (MSW)
- SW630 – Advanced Theories (MSW)
- SW650 – Field Seminar III (MSW)
- SW680 – Justice and Ethical Issues (MSW)
- SW720 – Multidimensional Assessment (MSW)