THE STATEMENT OF MISSION
The mission of Asbury University, as a Christian Liberal Arts University in the Wesleyan-Holiness tradition, is to equip men and women, through a commitment to academic excellence and spiritual vitality, for a lifetime of learning, leadership and service to the professions, society, the family and the Church, thereby preparing them to engage their cultures and advance the cause of Christ around the world.
THE STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Asbury University is an independent liberal arts University, providing undergraduate and graduate programs guided by the classical tradition of orthodox Christian thought. Central to this endeavor is a clear affirmation of the scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as God’s infallible and authoritative word, and particularly its teaching that the world was created by God and that persons are created in the image of God. On this foundation, we seek to provide an excellent integrated educational experience that appreciates truth in all areas of life and develops whole persons for achievement and service. Whether preparing students for further advanced degree study or for professional employment, the educational programs of the University reflect a liberal arts character.
The University believes in the humanizing value of broad exposure to the Western cultural heritage, the “great tradition” as both a classical body of knowledge and a dynamic conversation on the great ideas and values that have shaped this civilization. In robust interaction with Christian faith and practice, this educational approach develops students’ natural God-given potentials as rational, moral, spiritual, social, and physical beings. The University seeks to expand students’ horizons outward to understand the history and value of other peoples and cultures, and prepares them for involvement in a complex and changing global reality.
University life is shaped by the Wesleyan understanding of sin, grace, and the possibility of full salvation for Christ-like living. Asbury University embraces the equality, dignity, and worth of all persons and endeavors to be a campus community that reflects both the unity and diversity of the body of Christ. Asbury University fosters in students a commitment to Jesus Christ as personal Savior and to holiness of heart and life. The University sends them forth to transformatively engage the cultures in which they are called to live out their allegiance to the Kingdom of God and to participate in the cause of world redemption.
THE STATEMENT OF FAITH
Asbury University is a Christian liberal arts University which stands in the long succession of Christian orthodoxy. Although no official denominational emphasis exists at Asbury University and all may participate fully in the spiritual life of the campus, the institution maintains its commitment to an evangelical Wesleyan-Armenian perspective and requires all who affiliate with the University community to live within the guidelines of this commitment. Those basic beliefs to which Asbury University is dedicated are stated as follows:
1. That the Scriptures of both the Old and New Testaments constitute the divinely inspired Word of God, that they are inerrant in the original writings, and that they are the final authority for truth and life.
2. That all truth is a unity since it originates in God, and that God imparts it to man through His revelation in Jesus Christ, in the Scriptures, and in nature.
3. That there is one God, eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
4. That Jesus Christ was begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, and is true God and true man.
5. That Jesus Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that His atonement is for the whole human race, and that whosoever repents and believes through faith in Him is justified and regenerated and saved from the dominion of sin.
6. That man was created in the image of God, that man fell into sin through disobedience and "so death passed upon all men for that all have sinned" (Romans 5:12), that all human beings are born with a bent toward sinning, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility, become sinners in need of conversion.
7. That entire sanctification is that act of divine grace, through the baptism with the Holy Spirit, by which the heart is cleansed from all sin and filled with the pure love of God. This is a definite cleansing work of grace in the heart of a believer subsequent to conversion, resulting from full consecration and faith in the cleansing merit of the blood of Jesus Christ.
8. That the Holy Spirit bears witness both to the new birth and to entire sanctification enables the Christian to live a godly life, to grow in the graces of the Spirit, and to walk blamelessly in His holy commandments.
9. That the church is the body of Christ, and that all who are united by faith to Him are its members and love one another out of pure hearts.
10. That the crucified body of the Lord was resurrected, that He ascended into heaven, and that His return will be personal and is imminent.
11. That there will be a bodily resurrection, of the just to everlasting blessedness, and of the unjust to everlasting punishment.
The institution maintains its historic Christian commitment and resists the public practice or propagation of beliefs alien to its Wesleyan Christian orthodoxy. It welcomes students though who have not come to that faith but are respectful of the institution, its mission, and its commitment.
In keeping with our rich Wesleyan-Holiness foundation and commitment, Asbury University believes firmly in the inherent equality of all persons before God, irrespective of race, gender, age, or socioeconomic reality. This equality includes salvation, full membership, participation, and leadership in Church and society (including pulpit ministry), reception & exercise of spiritual gifts, and pursuit of vocational call. Therefore, Asbury University is committed to encouraging all persons to explore, discover, and express their vocational call in obedience to God and for His glory.
THE WESLEYAN THEOLOGICAL HERITAGE
Five Biblical concepts, promoted by John Wesley and his followers, guide our mission.
1. The Nature of the Truth: We believe that all Truth is God’s Truth, liberating us to pursue knowledge in any and every legitimate discipline of learning.
2. The Authority of Scripture: In pursuing Truth, we are anchored to the authority of the Bible employing reason, experience, and tradition to develop a Christian world view that unites academic excellence and spiritual vitality.
3. The Nature of Humanity: We believe that men and women are distinct beings created by God, endowed with a free will, and dependent upon God’s undeserved mercy to exercise the freedom to choose and change responsibly.
4. The Importance of Purity: We believe that the Christian’s deepest need is for a purity of heart and a freedom from the power of sin, which we describe as entire sanctification, in order to live pleasing to God. Sanctification is a definite cleansing experience by the Holy Spirit subsequent to conversion, and a life-long process of cleansing by the Holy Spirit gradually conforming the believer into the image of Christ. It is a process encompassing both purity and maturity.
5. The Call to Service: We believe that the primary motivation for seeking Truth is to live lives of meaningful, sacrificial service contributing to God’s redemptive purposes for creation and society.
THE ASBURY HERITAGE
Asbury University was founded in 1890 as the fulfillment of a pledge the Reverend John Wesley Hughes, a Methodist evangelist, had made as a student at Vanderbilt University a decade earlier. He chose Wilmore as the school's location because it was situated within his evangelistic preaching circuit and because the townspeople had shown a willingness to support the financing of the initial physical plant.
Originally named Kentucky Holiness College, the school was renamed Asbury College to honor the founder of American Methodism, Bishop Francis Asbury. He was directly responsible for the organization of Bethel Academy in the 1790's. The first of its kind west of the Allegheny Mountains, Bethel Academy was a pioneering Methodist school, located on the banks of the Kentucky River, approximately four miles south of the present Asbury University campus.
On March 5, 2010, Asbury College was renamed to Asbury University, to reflect the institution’s growth and further planned expansion in its master’s level programs and international markets.
Asbury opened its doors for instruction in September 1890, stating in its Bulletin that, "While we give prominence to the religious, we give equal prominence to thorough mental training; thus giving liberal culture of mind and soul." Since 1893 the University has graduated more than 16,500 men and women, among whom are University presidents, denominational leaders, business executives, medical doctors, lawyers, school administrators, and professors. A host of pastors, missionaries, evangelists, and other full-time Christian workers are also among the alumni, who have placed the Asbury imprint around the world.
Asbury University is an independent institution, held in trust by a self-perpetuating board of trustees. It is evangelical in its religious commitment, bound by its by-laws to those doctrinal standards established by John Wesley and his immediate successors. The University is not supported by any denomination nor does it receive government funds. Admission is open to any qualified student meeting its standards for matriculation.
Since its inception Asbury University has been led by sixteen presidents. Their names and dates of service are listed below.
John Wesley Hughes, Ph.B., D.D. (1890-1905)
Francis Florien Fitch, A.M., S.T.B. (1905)
Benjamin Franklin Haynes, D.D. (1905-1908)
Newton Wray, D.D. (1908-1909)
Aaron Sherman Watkins, D.D., Ph.D., LL.D. (1909-1910)
Henry Clay Morrison, D.D., LL.D. (1910-1925)
Lewis Robeson Akers, B.A., M.A., D.D., LL.D. (1925-1933)
Henry Clay Morrison, D.D., LL.D. (1933-1940)
Zachary Taylor Johnson, B.A., M.A., Ph.D., LL.D., D.D. (1940-1966)
Karl Kenneth Wilson, B.A., B.D., Th.M., Ph.D. (1966-1967)
Cornelius R Hager, B.A., B.D., M.A., LL.D. (1967-1968)
Dennis Franklin Kinlaw, B.A., B.D., M.A., Ph.D. (1968-1981)
Cornelius R Hager, B.A., B.D., M.A., LL.D. (1981-1983)
John Newell Oswalt, B.A., B.D., Th.M., M.A., Ph.D. (1983-1986)
Dennis Franklin Kinlaw, B.A., B.D., M.A., Ph.D. (1986-1991)
Edwin Gene Blue, B.A., M.S., Ed.D. (1991-1992)
Cornelius R Hager, B.A., B.D., M.A., LL.D. (1992-1993)
David John Gyertson, B.A., Ph.D. (1993-2000)
Paul Alexander Rader, B.A., B.D., Th.M., D.Miss. (2000-2006)
William Clark Crothers, B.A., M.B.A., Ph.D. (2006-2007)
Sandra Cowley Gray, B.B.A., M.B.A., Ph.D., (2007- )
ACCREDITATION AND MEMBERSHIPS
Asbury University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate, baccalaureate, and masters degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Asbury University. Asbury University is licensed by the Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education to offer the A.A., B.A., B.S., M.A., and M.S.W. degrees. The Asbury University extension campus in Orlando, Florida is approved by Florida Commission for Independent Colleges and Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Asbury University is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music.
Asbury University is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The Asbury University School of Education is accredited by the State of Kentucky through the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (EPSB). Any programs offered are subject to any changes made by the EPSB. In Florida, the education program are accredited through the Florida Educator Accomplished Practices (FEAPS).
The Asbury University Social Work Program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, Commission on Accreditation.
Memberships include the Association of Independent Kentucky Colleges and Universities, Christian University Consortium, Council for Christian Colleges and Universities, American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education, Kentucky Independent University Foundation, National Athletic Intercollegiate Association, National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, National Christian University Athletic Association, Southeastern Library Network, Inc., The University Board, and National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.
University chapters of organizations related to various professional groups: Kentucky Education Association – Student Program, Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish), Sigma Zeta (physical sciences), Phi Beta Lambda (business), Phi Alpha Theta (history), Pi Kappa Delta (speech), the Music Educators National Conference, the Student Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, Society of Collegiate Journalists, and the Student Chapter of the National Association of Teachers of Singing (SNATS).
THE WILMORE CAMPUS
Thousands of people have walked the paths of the beautiful Asbury University campus, graced with Georgian‑colonial architecture, set on 65 acres of gently rolling hills of the Kentucky bluegrass. The total University property, including the campus, covers more than 700 acres. At the entrance to the campus is a semi‑circle drive which borders a tree-shaded area, dotted in the spring and summer with park benches.
Hager Administration Building, built in 1910, was originally the site of a Presbyterian College which ceased operation shortly after the building's completion. The three-story structure houses the administrative offices for the following areas: President, Provost, Admissions, Registrar, Business, Human Resources, Financial Aid, and Advancement. A carillon in the tower of this building provides inspiring hymn tunes and hourly chimes. In June 1993, this building was named in honor of Cornelius R and Ruth L. Hager for their sacrificial service to the Asbury University over many years.
Morrison Hall, erected in 1923, was the original Asbury Theological Seminary building. It is named for Henry Clay Morrison, fifth president of the University and founder of Asbury Theological Seminary. When the Seminary became a separate institution in 1940, this building became a classroom and faculty office building. In 1980, extensive renovation increased the number of classrooms and faculty offices and added Bennett‑Bernard Chapel, an auditorium with seating capacity for 165 persons.
Glide‑Crawford Residence Hall, erected in 1925, comfortably accommodates approximately 300 women and features a lovely formal main lobby area, exercise gymnasium, informal lounge, two kitchens for student use, a study room for group study and a chapel. It is a traditional residence hall housing approximately 30 residents each floor. Most rooms are designed for double occupancy with residents on each floor sharing a common bathroom and laundry room.
Fletcher-Early Student Development Center, originally constructed as a residence hall in 1927, was completely reconstructed in 1983. This building now contains the offices for Student Development. This is the campus center for the supervision of residence life as well as counseling services, career services, campus ministries, student success programs, intercultural programs, and leadership development.
Morrison-Kenyon Student Center is one of the historical landmarks on the campus. The first section was built in 1927 and was expanded in 1957. Until 2001 this facility was home to the University’s library. It was renovated and reopened as a student center in August 2007.
Hughes Memorial Auditorium, built in 1929, has been the scene of many great spiritual awakenings. With a seating capacity of 1,489, it is used for the three chapel services each week and dozens of special programs throughout the year. This auditorium has witnessed a number of revivals including the world famous one, which began here spontaneously on February 3, 1970. In 1989, the entire ceiling was replaced and an air-conditioning system installed. The lower level of this building provides classrooms and faculty offices.
Doddridge-Holland Student Center, completed in 1952, was given by the late Dr. and Mrs. W. W. Holland (nee Ethel V. Doddridge). Formerly the University gymnasium and recreation facility, since 1993 Doddridge-Holland has housed the Asbury University Theatre Arts program, as well as the University bookstore and campus post office (CPO).
Johnson Hall, built originally as three separate wings (Main – 1948, East – 1954, West - 1955), comfortably accommodates approximately 250 men and features two lobbies on the first floor, a study room, laundry facilities, and a kitchen. There are eight units within Johnson Hall which house 30 residents each in double occupancy rooms who share a common bathroom. One unit in the building offers a private bath in each double occupancy room---generally occupied by upperclassmen.
Trustees Hall, composed of two wings (Main – 1960, East - 1965), comfortably accommodates approximately 170 men and features two lobbies on the first floor, a study room, laundry facilities and an informal lounge on the lower level. All the men of Trustees share common bathrooms.
McCreless Fine Arts Center, erected in 1962, is named for the late Dr. S. E. McCreless, former chairman of the Board of Trustees, and his wife, Mrs. Lila McCreless. The first floor includes 10 office/studios for music professors, three studios for adjunct music faculty, three organ rehearsal rooms, choral and instrumental libraries, four classrooms, a functional piano lab with eight Kurzweil electronic keyboards, a Midi Lab with keyboard and Macintosh computer and the 350-seat Akers Auditorium which is used for a wide variety of recitals and concerts. Thirty-two music practice rooms are located on the second floor. The second floor also houses the Art Department with four classrooms and two studios for art faculty. The Art Annex contains the fiber, ceramic, and stained glass studios as well as individual studio areas.
Hamann-Ray Science Center, erected in 1963, contains 12 classrooms, 10 laboratories, three preparation rooms, and faculty offices. Two of the classrooms are equipped with computerized technology to facilitate learning, and two are equipped with personal computer labs to accommodate 12 to 24 students. Computer network access is available in all rooms. The laboratories are fully equipped with networked computers and scientific equipment for teaching and research.
Z. T. and Sarah M. Johnson Cafeteria was completed in 1965. The two wings of the main dining hall can accommodate 678 persons. The Dougherty Dining Room, a small, private dining room with a capacity of 52, is located on the ground floor. The second floor includes The Grille, which is open 12 hours a day for short-order meals and snacks, a games area, and a small art gallery. In 1987, the dining hall was redecorated and an elevator and new entrance were added.
Dorothy M. Kresge Residence Hall (1973) comfortably houses approximately 240 women and features a spacious lounge area on each unit. Four to six women share a bath conveniently located adjacent to their double occupancy room. Each unit lounge includes a kitchenette. Other features of the building include laundry facilities, beautiful first floor lounge, study rooms, and chapel.
Corbitt Hall (1978) renovated in 2012 to house the administration and admissions offices of the Graduate and Adult Professional Studies programs.
Reasoner Hall, opened in 1992, is a three-story classroom and faculty office building connecting Hughes Auditorium and Morrison Hall. Reasoner Hall provides handicapped access to Hughes Auditorium.
Alumni Student Health Center was built in 1992. This facility, which houses the University's Health Services, is well-equipped to meet the health needs of currently enrolled students.
George E. and Willouise B. Luce Physical Activities Center was completed in 1993. The 70,000 square-foot facility houses the academic program for the physical education/health and recreation majors, the activity classes for the core course, and faculty office complex. The activity areas in the facility include the following: three court gymnasium; 25 yard, eight-lane pool; weight room with Cybex and free weights; four racquetball courts; 1/8 mile running track; a multipurpose gym; and training room. Additional facilities include: baseball and softball diamonds; athletic fields; a running track; outdoor basketball courts; and tennis courts. The baseball and softball fields were completed in 1986 and named in honor of Professor Cecil C. Zweifel.
Aldersgate Commons includes Davis, Fisher, Thacker, and Eddy Houses (constructed in 1996) as well as Pike and Howell Houses (constructed in 2001). The houses are intended to provide an opportunity for students to experience apartment-style living while developing citizenship, leadership and community service skills. The four original houses are reserved for upper-class students and are comprised of apartments of four people each, while the two newest houses provide spaces for eight people to live together in a larger apartment. The newest communities are houses for living and learning and each floor is centered around a specific theme.
Dennis F. and Elsie B. Kinlaw Library opened in 2001. This 73,000 square foot, three-floor facility includes computer labs, archives, a curriculum lab, and a media center in addition to the standard space for book stacks and for individual and group study. Students also have access to the B. L. Fisher Library of Asbury Theological Seminary just across the street, the Jessamine County Library in Nicholasville, and the libraries at the University of Kentucky in Lexington. Resources of other libraries are available through interlibrary loan.
Physical Plant, built in 2002, is the base of operations for the custodial, grounds, maintenance and warehouse workforce. It is located at 406 West Linden Street (near the Wilmore Fire Department and City Reservoir).
The Equine Center is a 72’ x 180’ arena (built in 2007) which includes 14 stalls, classrooms, restrooms, and other features along with another barn of 11 stalls. These facilities are located on 341 acres of campus property along the Kentucky River Palisades.
Andrew S. Miller Center for Communication Arts (built in 2011) houses the School of Communication Arts with majors in media communication, journalism, communications and theatre cinema performance. The 52,000 sq. foot Center for Communication Arts is a cutting edge communication facility including the following: a radio station; theater for stage productions; a film sound stage/television studio (5,800 sq. ft.); three back lots; recording studio; news bureau; new media and graphic computer labs; distance education facilities; movie theater; audio and video editing suites; a full HDTV control room/trailer; and classrooms.
Florida Dunnam Campus of Asbury Theological Seminary, located at 8401 Valencia College Lane, provides space for the Asbury Adult Professional Studies Orlando Program. The building is a 38,000 square-foot, two-story facility, with 300 lighted parking places. The campus is accessible from two major transportation arteries: Tollway 408 (East-West Expressway) and Tollway 417 (GreeneWay). It is located about 15 minutes from Orlando International Airport.
2012-2013 BULLETIN 02/27/2013