Graduate Education Degree Requirements
ADMISSION TO DEGREE STATUS (Gate 5)
The student must meet all five of the following requirements to be admitted into degree status.
1. Completed degree status application form.
2. Successful completion of a minimum nine (9) semester hours at Asbury University.
3. Minimum of 3.00 grade point average on all graduate coursework completed.
4. Three professional references with disposition ratings.
5. Successful submission of Entry Professional Portfolio.
6. A passing score on the Praxis I exam (also known as the PPST) or GRE
7. A passing score on PRAXIS II content (for alternative certification candidates)
8. Successful completion of a formal interview proving interviewee’s demonstration of critical thinking, communication, creativity, and collaboration as well as demonstration of professional dispositions expected of professional educators.
GRANTING OF THE M.A. DEGREE (Gate 6)
The actual granting of the M.A. degree requires completion of the following:
1. Successful completion of all coursework.
2. Minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00.
3. Minimum of 30.0 hour of graduate coursework.
4. Successful submission of Professional Portfolio.
5. Successful completion of Action Research and Project Presentation.
6. Application for graduation approved by the Registrar.
All candidates seeking teacher certification are to take the appropriate PRAXIS II Specialty Area Examination(s) and Principles of Learning and Teacher Examination(s) in order to be certified. Contact the Graduate Education Office for a list of tests required for each program area.
A bachelors’ degree is a prerequisite to all of the of the following Master of Arts degree programs. Additional prerequisites are listed below each program. All of these programs lead to certification.
ADMISSION TO PRINCIPAL LICENSURE DEGREE STATUS (Gate 7)
The student must meet all four of the following requirements to be admitted into degree status.
1. Applicants will submit a portfolio to superintendent requesting endorsement to apply to principal preparation program.
2. Portfolio contents will include the following:
a. Letter of application
b. Evidence of ability to improve student achievement
c. Evidence of leadership and management potential
d. Letters of recommendation from applicant’s principal, supervisor, and/or colleague (choose at least 2)
e. Completed copy of the most recent performance appraisal to include professional development component
f. A personal statement of career goals
3. Superintendent will review application and, if acceptable, will complete and sign a Professional Recommendation form
4. Application will then be submitted to a District/University Screening Committee along with:
a. Official transcript from all degree-granting institutions
b. 3.0 Grade Point Average
c. Current teaching licensure
d. Three years successful teaching
e. Hold Masters Degree
EXITING THE PRINCIPAL LICENSURE PROGRAM (GATE 8)
Exit from Level I of the Principal Licensure Program includes the following requirements:
- 3.00 GPA
- Satisfactory Field Component Performance
- Capstone Project
- Anchor Assessments
EXITING LEVEL II OF THE PRINCIPAL LICENSURE PROGRAM (GATE 9)
Exit from Level II Program includes the following requirements:
- 3.00 GPA
- Satisfactory Internship
- Work Samples demonstrating application of Kentucky Leadership Standards and impact on student achievement
- Successful completion of Kentucky Leadership Assessment
2012-2013 BULLETIN 07/27/2012