APS Degree & Academic Requirements
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE DEGREE
The Adult Professional Studies program awards a Bachelor of Science.
DEGREE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE B.S.
All candidates for an undergraduate bachelor’s degree must meet the following requirements to graduate:
1. Complete a minimum of 124 semester hours
2. Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00
3. Fulfill the major requirements in one major.
4. Fulfill the liberal arts foundational requirements.
5. Satisfy the residence requirement (three semesters in sequence including two as a senior).
6. Must file a "Graduation Application" form. www.asbury.edu/offices/provost/commencement/application/form
7. A minimum of 49 hours (not institutional credit) must be completed at Asbury University.
8. For a degree 50% of the hours/courses for all majors must be completed at Asbury University.
9. Complete comprehensive examinations and assessment tests as required by individual departments and programs or the University administration.
10. Students must graduate under the requirements of the Bulletin in effect at the time of first enrollment (note exceptions:)
a. Students may be graduated under new requirements placed in effect while enrolled. Students are expected to meet all of the requirements (foundations, major) for a particular Bulletin.
b. A student who re-enrolls or requests permission to complete degree requirements after an absence of two years becomes subject to degree requirements in effect at the time of re-enrollment or requested completion.
Additional requirements for education majors seeking certification.
Education majors earn the bachelor’s degree by meeting the above requirements. Additional requirements must be met to complete teacher certification.
See details from School of Education.
Fulfillment of all degree requirements is the student's responsibility.
HAVING AN ASSOCIATE DEGREE FROM A KCTCS SCHOOL
Any student accepted into Asbury University who presents an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree awarded by one of the Kentucky Community and Technical College System schools will be deemed to have satisfied the Asbury University APS Foundational requirements with the exception of the Biblical studies requirements (9.0). Asbury can transfer a maximum of 60.0 credits from these institutions. [This does not apply to an Associate of Applied Science.] Any foundational courses which are also required courses for a major cannot be waived.
HAVING A VALENCIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE ASSOCIATE DEGREE
By articulation agreement, any student accepted into Asbury University who presents an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree awarded by Valencia Community College in Orlando, Florida will be deemed to have satisfied the Asbury University APS Foundational requirements with the exception of the Biblical studies requirements (9.0). Asbury can transfer a maximum of 60.0 credits from this institution. [This does not apply to an Associate of Applied Science.] Any foundational courses which are also required courses for a major cannot be waived.
Students with waivers of any foundational requirements must still complete the total credits required for graduation.
APS LIBERAL ARTS FOUNDATIONAL COURSES
One of the fundamental beliefs of Asbury University is that every university student should have a well-balanced general education in order to prepare for living a full life, regardless of vocation or professional interests. It is intended to develop a logical and discriminating method of thinking to lead to an appreciation of the fine arts, good literature, and life elements that have lasting value; to give an understanding of the social and economic forces that affect life; and to provide an insight into the way various fields of learning contribute to human life.
See "Foundational Curriculum" for explanation of the five Student Learning Outcome (SLO) areas.
FOUNDATIONAL COURSE REQUIREMENTS (48)
Complete any specific courses listed and take courses that satisfy the foundational areas for each Student Learning Outcome (SLO).
SLO 1: Integrating Christian Faith & Culture (9)
Biblical Studies (9)
OT 100 Old Testament Survey (3)
NT 100 New Testament Survey (3)
TH 290 Christian Worldview (3)
SLO 2: Discover Human Thought/Creative Expression (21)
ENG 110 Expos & Research (3)
Humanities (9) – such as Philosophy, Literature, Music, Art, World Language, Theatre
SLO 3: Engaging Society & Global Responsibility (9)
Social Sciences (6) - such as History, Sociology, Psychology, Anthropology, Economics, Political Science
SLO 4: Achieving Quantitative & Critical Literacy (6)
Mathematics, Science and/or Technology (3)
SLO 5: Searching the Natural World and Environment (3)
Note: It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that all degree requirements are met.
SATISFYING THE FOUNDATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
1. Courses in the Foundational areas are required for a bachelor’s degree.
2. Some courses required in a major may satisfy a foundational course. See each individual major requirements for specifics. Students meeting any foundational requirements with major courses or by waivers of any kind must still meet the 124 credits required for graduation.
3. The APS program is centered around the courses that make up the major programs. Students who need to complete additional foundational or elective coursework to meet graduation requirements may do so through the Asbury University online course program during the regular registration process. Alternatively, a student may enroll, with permission, for foundational or elective coursework at another institution if the maximum transfer limit has not been met. Please see University Academic Policies under Transfer Credit for “Credits Elsewhere Policies”.
Note: The University reserves the right to change degree requirements, major and minor requirements, and course offerings, and to cancel any course not elected by a sufficient number of students (low enrollment) at the time offered.
2012-2013 BULLETIN 07/12/2012