Graduate Social Work Admissions
1. Completed MSW graduate application form, including Character and Fitness form, Missions Statement, and Autographical Statement.
2. Official transcripts of all college/university coursework
3. Three Letters of Recommendation from:
b. employer or field site supervisor,
c. personal reference (not a relative)
4. Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
5. One of the following:
a. Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on all undergraduate course work OR
b. Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on last 60 hours of undergraduate course work, OR
c. Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on earned master's degree
5. Candidates not meeting any of the grade point average criteria above but who have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.50-2.74 may apply for admission on a probationary status. No more than 10% of the MSW student population may be admitted on a probationary status.
6. Complete all prerequisite requirements, OR have a plan to complete these requirements prior to entering the MSW Program. The prerequisites are:
a. 3 semester hours of introduction to psychology
b. 3 semester hours of introduction to sociology
c. 3 semester hours of statistics
d. 9 semester hours in humanities
ADDITIONAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ADVANCED STANDING PROGRAM
In order for applicants to be considered for admission to the advanced standing program, they must meet the following additional requirements:
1. Completed an undergraduate degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with an overall grade point average of at least 3.25. CSWE requires that students have a plan to finish the MSW within ten years of completing a BSW from an accredited program to be eligible for advanced standing status.
2. Have recommendations completed, a specific writing sample, and an autobiography that demonstrates readiness to begin at the advanced level of graduate education and advanced social work practice.
3. Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is submitted. (A copy of the final Field Evaluation Form is required once the field placement is completed.)
All documents indicated below should be mailed as a packet, by the applicant, to Asbury University, MSW Graduate Admissions, One Macklem Drive, Wilmore, Kentucky 40390.
1. Complete applications (graduate & MSW); including autobiographical statement.
2. Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work sent directly from the credit-granting institution to the student in sealed envelopes.
3. Three letters of recommendation in sealed envelopes that are sent directly to the student.
4. Additional application materials are required for Advanced Standing or transfer students.
Once the admissions packet is received, the application file will be reviewed by the MSW Admissions Committee on a rolling-admission basis. The admissions criteria are stated on the reference forms and with other data submitted provide the basis for the MSW Admissions Committee's decision. The criteria are divided into three categories: emotional readiness, academic readiness, and professional readiness.
1. Only candidates who have earned a bachelor's degree may be admitted.
2. No credit for life experience or previous work experience may be granted.
3. Advanced standing status is awarded only to graduates of baccalaureate social work programs accredited by CSWE.
4. Only files which include an original transcript from the bachelor’s degree granting institution will be considered.
5. Bachelor’s degrees must be from an institution which is accredited by a regional accrediting body for higher education such as the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
ADMISSIONS POLICY—TRANSFER CREDIT
1. Graduate credit earned in accredited graduate schools and carrying a grade of B or better will be transferable toward an advanced degree at Asbury University. This correspondence can be demonstrated by students providing their advisors and the chairperson of the MSW Admissions Committee with catalog course descriptions, course syllabi, and/or completed assignments for the courses being considered for transfer credit.
2. A maximum of 12 credits taken by students on a non-matriculated basis may be transferred toward the 60-credit MSW degree requirement. Transfer courses may be accepted for credit if they have been completed up to five years prior to acceptance into the MSW Program. Transfer credit is not accepted for credits earned following matriculation at Asbury University. (This policy does not apply to taking courses at Asbury Theological Seminary as part of the electives in the MSW Program.)
3. Applicants to the 60 credit hour MSW program may transfer up to 30 maximum credit hours from another CSWE accredited MSW Program, in which they were matriculated graduate students in good standing, to the extent that the student can demonstrate correspondence to course(s) in the Asbury degree program and pending approval by the Chairperson of the MSW Admission Committee and the Academic Dean. Thirty (30) credits of graduate coursework must be completed at Asbury University. Academic credit is not given for life experience or previous work experience.
PROCEDURES FOR TRANSFER ADMISSIONS
1. In addition to the general admissions material for the applicant’s file, the following must be included in the file prior to the submission of the file for committee decision:
a. Signature on Release of Information Consent Form for the School of Social Work where the student completed his/her course work.
b. Copy(ies) of field evaluation form(s) (if applicable).
2. While the applicant is in the admissions process to our program, his/her transcript of graduate credit can be reviewed. A letter can be sent to the applicant that clearly identifies the courses that can be considered for transfer into our program (if the applicant is accepted). This letter is sent to the applicant and a copy is put in the admissions file.
3. When the applicant is accepted to the MSW Program, the Graduate Transfer Credit evaluation form is completed, signed by the MSW Director and sent to the Academic Dean along with the official Graduate Transcript for review and approval.
4. When the Transfer Credit Evaluation form is approved and signed by the Academic Dean, the original form and official Graduate transcript is maintained by the Registrar’s Office. A copy is put in the student’s file with his/her program of study form, and another copy is sent to the student.
2012-2013 BULLETIN 07/27/2012