Probation, Suspension and Appeals


The Registrar’s Office has the responsibility to monitor academic progress for all students enrolled in the University.

Undergraduate Probation            Graduate Probation           Academic Appeals


1. An undergraduate academic progress scale outlines the expected grade point average for a student to remain in good academic standing based on the total number of credits attempted.  Students who fail to meet the scale are subject to academic probation and/or academic suspension.  (Traditional residential undergraduate students are also expected to be in accord with the chapel attendance requirement or be subject to chapel probation or suspension.)  Scholarship standards outline expectations for graduate students to remain in good academic standards based on grade point average.

2. Some specific major programs within the University have additional minimum grade point averages to be admitted to those programs or to remain enrolled in them.  Each academic department having an additional GPA requirement are responsible to monitor the progress of students enrolled in their programs and notify students of any problems related to the requirement, including the possibility that the student may be dropped from the program.

3. Undergraduate Students with less than 9 attempted hours in a semester are exempt from probation policy (withdrawn hours are not counted) [NOTE Financial Aid eligibility will include withdrawn hours. See ‘Academic Progress and Financial Aid’.]

4. The academic progress toward the completion of a degree requires the meeting of minimal standards both in semester hours completed and in cumulative grade point average. 

The Undergraduate Academic Progress Scale is as follows:

      Hours Attempted        Cumulative GPA

      1 – 24                             1.70

     25 – 37                            1.80

     38 – 59                            1.90

     60 or more                       2.00

5. At the end of each semester, the academic progress of all students is reviewed.  Incomplete grades will be taken into consideration, but calculations for probation begin as soon as first grades are entered during the semester.  Decisions are not made until the official end of the semester.

6. A student who does not meet the minimal standards of the academic progress scale at the end of the semester will be placed on academic probation for one semester, and may be required to attend an academic support class.

7. Any students who do not meet the standards of the academic progress scale at the end of the probationary semester will be subject to academic suspension for a period of one semester (not counting summer).  A student who has been dismissed for academic reasons may apply for readmission for any semester following the suspended semester.

8. The probationary academic standing may be cleared only with grade points earned at Asbury University.  Transfer credits are not used in calculating GPA.  

9. A student who earns a grade point average of less than 1.0 (D average) in a semester at Asbury University is subject to academic suspension at the end of that semester without a period of academic probation.

10. During the fall or spring semester any student who does not pass at least 67% of hours attempted that semester (withdrawn hours excluded from calculation) will be placed on academic probation without respect to cumulative grade point average.  A student in this category who does not pass 67% of semester hours attempted during the probationary semester may be subject to academic suspension.  This policy does not apply to summer registration. [NOTE Financial Aid eligibility does take into account withdrawn hours. For those requirements see ‘Academic Progress and Financial Aid’.] 

11. The academically suspended student is ineligible for re-admission to Asbury University until one semester has elapsed (not including summer).  A student who has been dismissed for academic reasons may apply for readmission for any semester following the suspended semester.

12. A student who has been readmitted following a period of academic suspension, will remain eligible for continuing as long as his/her GPA for each semester is 2.30 or better while carrying a minimum of 12 semester hours, even though his/her cumulative standing may be below the academic progress scale.  Students re-admitted in this category may not enroll for more than 14 semester hours until they achieve satisfactory standing.  [NOTE: Financial Aid requirements vary from Academic requirements.  Students may be cleared academically to register, but not be eligible for financial aid.]

13. A student who is placed on academic suspension may appeal (in writing, to the Academic Dean) to continue enrollment for the next semester. The appeal will be considered by the Petitions Sub-committee of the Academic Policy and Curriculum Committee of the Faculty. The student will receive a written response from the Academic Dean. If permission to enroll is granted, the student’s status becomes “probation”.



Credit hours earned with a grade less than C will not count as credit toward the degree. The master’s degree requires a cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on all course work. At the end of each academic term (including summer session), the academic standing of all master’s students will be reviewed by the Academic Dean.  A student who falls below the 3.00 cumulative grade point average requirement will be placed on probation for the next term of attendance.  Two consecutive terms of failure to maintain a 3.00 standing will result in the student's suspension from graduate study for a period of one calendar year.  Any student readmitted after such a suspension must maintain at least a 3.30 term average until his/her cumulative grade point average reaches the required 3.00.  A student will not be re-admitted after a second suspension.



The Academic Appeals section listed in this Bulletin exists to enable students to resolve academic concerns.  For issues other than academic standards, a complaints procedure is available to any student who believes a school decision or action has adversely affected his/her status, rights or privileges as a student.  The purpose is to provide a prompt and equitable process for resolving student grievances.  Contact the Office of Student Development for non-academic complaints.  



1. The channel for academic appeals should begin with the faculty or office where the issue originated. 

A. For concerns about matters related to an academic course (class assignments, materials, procedures, or grades) first contact the faculty member involved and then, if no resolution is achieved, contact the chair of the department within which the faculty member teaches. If still unresolved refer the issue to the Dean of the College where the department is housed.

B. For concerns about matters related to meeting Foundational Course requirements first contact the registrar.   The registrar may review the matter with the Department chair which supervises the required course.  If still unresolved refer the issue to the Academic Dean.

C. For concerns about matters related to meeting major or minor requirements first meet with the academic advisor or with the department chair who supervises that major or minor.  If still unresolved refer the issue to the Dean of the College where the department is housed

D. For traditional undergraduates wishing to appeal a Cross-Cultural Experience (CCE) decision should submit a CCE Appeal Form to the CCE Office to be reviewed by the CCE Committee. If still unresolved refer the issue to the Academic Dean.

E. For issues related to broader institutional academic policies and procedures and requirements first contact the Academic Dean. 

2. Students whose concerns are not resolved in conference with the Academic Dean may file a written appeal.  Letters of appeal should be addressed to the Academic Dean and should be filed within thirty days of the conference with the Academic Dean. 

3. The Academic Dean will review the written appeal and if unable to resolve the matter to the satisfaction of the student, will refer the matter to the Academic Petitions Sub-committee of the Academic Policies and Curriculum Committee.  The student will receive a decision in writing.  The decision of the Academic Petitions Sub-committee will be considered final.


2014-15  BULLETIN   8/11/2014