Courses and Registration

It is the student’s responsibility to verify that they are registered for the correct courses they are actually taking.  Students will not receive credit for courses in which they are not properly registered. 


Note: The University reserves the right to change degree requirements, major and minor requirements, and course offerings, and to cancel any course not elected by a sufficient number of students at the time offered.



1. A student can drop a class during the official Drop/Add period through the online registration, and will have the course cancelled and will not be charged for the course.

2. For traditional undergraduates Drop/Add is the first week of the program term.  Last day to drop or add a class is listed in the Academic Calendar in this Bulletin.

3. The Drop/Add period for the School of Graduate and Professional Studies (APS and Graduate) is set by program or course.  Drop/Add dates for each course are viewable in your schedule when you log in at

4. No course can be dropped after the Drop/Add deadline.  (see withdrawal from a course).



A degree student may request to audit one class within their full time semester. A non-degree student who only attends an audited class is classified and billed as an auditor.

1. Prior to auditing any course a student must have applied and been admitted to the University through an Office of Admissions.

2. Students must request to audit a particular course during registration for a term. Audit requests must be made to the registrar’s office before the end of the Drop/Add period. 

3. The Registrar will seek instructor approval for an auditor and will determine if there will be room in the class for an auditor after regular enrollment is completed. Priority seating is given to credit students.

3. No more than one course may be audited per semester.

4. Only lecture type courses, or the lecture part of laboratory courses, may be audited.  Activity courses may not be audited (e.g., lab courses, computer programming, physical education, internships, recreation, ceramics, and studio art).

5. Neither class discussion nor taking of examinations is permitted, except by special arrangement with the instructor.

6. If an auditor submits daily assignments, the instructor is not obligated to read or correct them.

7. The instructor will assign a grade of "S" (satisfactory) or "U" (unsatisfactory) based on attendance arrangement with instructor and general cooperation. 

8. No credit hours or quality points shall be awarded for courses audited.

9. There is no cost additional to regular tuition for a full‑time student auditing a course. The cost to persons other than full‑time students is $40 per credit hour. 



for traditional undergraduate program registration only

Students enrolled in the traditional undergraduate program who are at least 62 years of age and who are U.S. citizens may receive a waiver of tuition for a maximum of 4.0 credit hours per academic semester (including summer).  The following stipulations apply: (1) the waiver includes only tuition and does not apply to other fees; (2) if the person desires to audit the class all the rules for audited courses apply.  The $40 per credit hour audit cost is waived. (3) If the person desires credit for the class, all prerequisites and requirements must be met; (4) credits may apply toward a degree program; (5) housing must be secured off campus.



Undergraduate seniors with a minimum 3.25 cumulative grade point average who demonstrate outstanding scholastic ability, and who satisfy the requirements for regular graduate admission, may be permitted to enroll for a graduate course (500-level) simultaneously with undergraduate courses.  The following stipulations apply (specific graduate programs may have stricter regulations.):

  • GPA of 3.25 required.
  • This can only be done during the undergraduate senior year.
  • No more than one graduate course may be taken per semester.
  • The student will be required to pay all graduate course fees. 
  • The graduate course will be listed as part of the undergraduate record and GPA.  
  • In no case may the credits count toward both a graduate and an undergraduate degree.



In the programs which have modular classes beginning at later dates in the term students have the option to exchange a future course for one that has not yet begun in the term. 

1. The exchange must occur prior to the start date of both courses involved.

2. Both courses involved in the exchange must be worth the same number of credits. 

3. Students must contact the registrar’s office to make this adjustment to their official registration. 



1. A student must contact the Registrar’s Office to officially be withdrawn from a class.  

A student who stops attending a class without giving official withdrawal notice to the Registrar’s Office will remain registered and receive an "F" in that course at the end of the semester.  

2. Any full time student wishing to withdraw a course that leaves them completing below full time hours must be cleared by the Registrar prior to withdrawal.  Students completing below fulltime hours may have their financial aid reduced.

3. Students may not drop a class off after the Drop/Add period for their program; they can only withdraw from the class.  The class and hours remains on their schedule as part of their original registered hours for billing and financial aid. 

4. A grade of "W" is recorded on the transcript for any withdrawn course.  The course will not factor into the calculation of the GPA.

5. Students receive no refund of tuition and/or fees for an individual course which is withdrawn after the official Drop/Add date unless completely withdrawing from all courses at the institution.

6. Students must withdraw before their program’s deadline for withdrawing without an “F”.  After that deadline student must receive the earned grade for the class.

7. Traditional Undergraduate Students must withdraw before the published “last day to withdraw from a class with a grade of W” in the academic calendar for each semester. 

8. APS and Graduate Students must withdraw from a class before 2/3 of the class sessions have elapsed.   See also the option for COURSE EXCHANGES for modular classes that start later in the term.

9. Once a course ends and a grade is recorded the course may not be withdrawn.



2013-14  BULLETIN    08/14/2013