Below you will find descriptions of many of the Asbury University campus buildings:
The current Administration Building at Asbury University was constructed in 1909, immediately following a fire that destroyed the previous administration building on the old Asbury College campus near downtown Wilmore. This building was the first new building constructed on the Bellevue Campus, the current site of the college. It was renamed for Dr. Cornelius Hager, who served as president for the college on three occassions: 1967-68, 1981-83, 1992-93.
The 1,500-person capacity Hughes Auditorium was constructed in 1929, when Asbury College's enrollment was less than half that. It was named in honor of Dr. John Wesley Hughes, the founder and first president of the college. Hughes Auditorium is still used for University chapel services today. To read more about the importance of this building to the Asbury community, please click here.
Morrison Hall, named in honor of Asbury College president Dr. Henry Clay Morrison, was constructed in 1923 to house the new Asbury Theological Seminary. The lower two floors were to be used for classrooms, and the upper two floors were to be used to house the male theology students. The building is currently used exclusively for classrooms and faculty offices.
Reasoner Hall was completed in 1992 as a connector between Morrison Hall and Hughes Auditorium. It houses classrooms and faculty offices. It was dedicated to the memory of Clarence Reasoner and Walter and Helen Reasoner. The Reasoner brothers worked for Lord & Taylor of New York, Walter later became a minister, and both were strong supporters of Christian ministries.
The Kinlaw Library was completed in 2001. It was named in honor of Dr. Dennis Kinlaw and his wife Elsie, graduates of Asbury College in the class of 1943 and former president of Asbury College (1968-81, 1986-91). It houses the Jiles and Eloise Kirkland Learning Resources Center, the Asbury University Archives, and the King Curriculum Lab, among many other areas of note.
The Luce Physical Activities Center opened in 1993, a crucial step in allowing Asbury College to participate in intercollegiate athletics. It was named in honor of George and Willouise Luce, both of whom were former students of Asbury and served on the Board of Trustees. Mr. Luce was former Chairman of both the Blue Bird Bus Company and the Asbury College Board of Trustees. The building houses three full-size basketball courts, a swimming pool, raquetball courts, indoor track, weight room, auxiliary room, and classrooms.
The Johnson Cafeteria was built in 1964 to accommodate a growing student body and was named in honor of Asbury College president Z.T. Johnson and his wife Sarah. The building also currently houses the Collegian student newspaper and the Grille, a short-order restaurant and gathering area.
The Morrison Library was built in 1927 and named in honor of Dr. Henry Clay Morrison, past and future president of Asbury College. (The library had previously been housed in the attic of the Administration Building.) The library was expanded in 1958, and the new wing was named in honor of Jay B. Kenyon, Asbury College class of 1908, science professor, and long-time Dean of Students. He was also the first recipient of Asbury's "A" Award for alumni recognition. When the Kinlaw Library opened in 2001, the Morrison-Kenyon Library sat vacant for several years, opening again in 2007 as the new Asbury College Student Center, housing student government offices, sitting areas, game areas, and a coffee shop.
The Doddridge-Holland Student Union was dedicated in 1952, housing a gymnasium and pool on the main floor and the College Post Office and Bookstore in the lower floor. It was named in honor of William and Eathel Doddridge Holland, who met and married while professors of religion and English, respectively, at Asbury College. The main floor of the building is now used as a theater, while the Campus Post Office and Bookstore are still housed in the lower level.
The Fletcher-Early Student Development Center had its beginnings as Fletcher Hall, a four-story men's dormitory built in 1921. It was named after John Fletcher, an early Methodist minister in 18th-century England and colleague of John Wesley. After serving over 50 years as a dormitory first for men and later for women, in 1983 the building was remodeled as a two-story building that now houses the Student Development department, including Campus Ministries, Residence Life, Career Services, and Counseling Services. After the renovation, the name Early was added in honor of John L. Early, an alumnus of the Class of 1917 who distinguished himself in the legal profession and served many years as mayor of Sarasota, Florida.
The Science Building was built in 1963, and it was dedicated and named in 1978 in honor of two long-time professors at Asbury College, Dr. Cecil Hamann and Dr. J. Paul Ray. Drs. Hamann (1946) and Ray (1947) served together in the science department at the college for four decades. The exterior of the building was remodeled in 2005.
The Fine Arts building on the campus of Asbury University was completed in 1962, and in 1972 it was dedicated and named in honor of Dr. Sollie McCreless and his wife Lilla. Dr. McCreless, an alumnus of the Class of 1943, was a wealthy Texas insurance broker and served as chairman of the Asbury College Board of Trustees from 1950-1978. A recital hall, Akers Auditorium, was built on one end of the complex and named for Lewis R. Akers, Asbury College's 7th President (1925-1933) and an alumnus of the Class of 1903.
Corbitt Hall, built in 1978 as a men's dormitory, was named after Drs. Duvon and Roberta Day Corbitt. The Corbitts served as missionaries in Cuba for the better part of two decades before spending nearly three decades as professors at Asbury. While working at Asbury, the Corbitts helped found the People's Mission to the Cherokee Indians in Robinsville, North Carolina, and the Wildwood Chapel Mission in Powell County, Kentucky. In 1984 Corbitt Hall was reappropriated to house Asbury College's Media Communication department.
The campus clinic was dedicated in 1992. This project, remodeled from an existing house, was a fundraising project of the Asbury College Alumni Association.
The original building of the Kentucky Holiness College, built in 1890, was constructed like a two-story wooden box, divided into four rooms. In 1981, this historic building was taken from the original campus site, which was abandoned in 1909, and relocated to the current Asbury University campus.
When Asbury College relocated to its current site on the old Bellevue College campus, one of the existing buildings was the Scott family homestead. That building was expanded in 1918 and named Mary Crawford Hall after a donor from Georgia. In 1921, Lizzie Glide Hall was built alongside Crawford Hall with a generous donation from Lizzie Glide, a cattle and oil millionaire from San Francisco. Glide and Crawford Halls were destroyed in a fire in April 1924, and the current Glide-Crawford Hall was constructed in their place and opened for residents in the Fall of 1924. The connecting front hall is named Putman Hall in honor of two sisters who were donors. Read more about the Glide-Crawford Fire here.
The Johnson Men's Dormitory, named in honor of Asbury College President, Dr. Z.T. Johnson, was built in three stages. The Main Wing was constructed in 1947 and the East and West Wings in 1954. The building was remodeled to connect the wings into one complex in 1986. The first floor on the East Wing (which contains four floors compared to the other wings' three) once housed the Sarah Johnson Guest House; it now houses one floor of women's dorm rooms unconnected to the remainder of the dorm, which is still used as men's housing.
The Trustees Men's Dormitory, named in honor of the Board of Trustees, was also built in stages. The Main Wing was built in 1959, and the East Wing was added in 1965. It too was remodeled to connect the wings into one complex in 1986.
Kresge Hall was completed in 1973 as the newest of Asbury College's dormitories. It was named after Dorothy Kresge, the wife of philanthropist S.S. Kresge, the founder of the K-Mart department stores.
Aldersgate Commons was built in 1996, consisting of four apartment-style residence halls. The Davis, Fisher, Thacker and Eddy houses contain two-bedroom, four-person apartments. In 2001, Howell and Pike houses were added as "living and learning communities" housing eight students in each suite. The name "Aldersgate" refers to Aldersgate Street in London where in 1738 John Wesley experienced a spiritual awakening at a Moravian meeting in which he felt his "heart strangely warmed". Read more about the Aldersgate Apartments and their namesakes here.
Buildings No Longer Standing
John Wesley Hughes had a new brick administration building constructed in 1900 on the original Asbury College campus. Within the cornerstone of this building was a stone from the ruins of Bethel Academy, the school founded by Francis Asbury in the area in 1790. The building housed most of the college program, including a laboratory, library, president's office, reading rooms, classrooms, a large auditorium, gymnasium, recitation rooms and the museum. The building was completely destroyed in a fire in 1909. Read more about the old campus and the 1909 fire here.
Wesley Hall, named for preacher and theologian John Wesley, was built as a men's dormitory in 1910 when Asbury College moved to its current location on the Bellevue Campus. It was originally built out of white pressed brick, but the bricks were painted red in 1944 to match the other buildings on campus. Wesley Hall was demolished in the summer of 2004.
This building began in 1917 as the gymnasium. It was located in the middle of campus between the Morrison-Kenyon Library and Johnson Main Dormitory on the ends, and Wesley Hall and Hughes Auditorium on the sides. It was refitted in 1953 to house the Science Department, which was still operating in the Administration Building. In 1963 it was reappropriated again as the Education and Psychology Building. The building was demolished in 1989 to make way for Reasoner Hall.
The first stand-alone Dining Hall built on Asbury's new campus was constructed in 1920 to accommodate a growing student body. It was damaged in the 1924 Fire, but continued in use until it was demolished to make way for the new Johnson Cafeteria in 1964.