Criteria Considered For Approval:
- Geographic location: normally outside the United States and Canada, but opportunities within these countries may be considered
- Exposure to various levels of ethnic diversity: such as language, customs, and worldviews
- Time frame: May be completed as early as the summer preceding the senior year of high school
- Length: Minimum of six consecutive nights in context
Missionary Kids, Study Abroad, and International Students:
Please keep in mind that MKs (Missionary Kids), students completing Study Abroad semesters, and students who have lived abroad must STILL complete a Cross-Cultural Experience Form (.doc) and submit it to the Cross-Cultural Experience Office in order to fulfill this requirement for graduation regardless of how many years were spent living abroad.
International students do NOT need to complete a Cross-Cultural Experience Form.
Options For Satisfying The Experience:
- Participate in one of the various semester/summer-long, approved, cross-cultural programs such as the following:
- Australia Studies Program
- Bolivian Evangelical University
- Chez Vous Summer Study in France
- China Studies Program
- Daystar University (Kenya)
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Ireland – An Tobar Nua
- Jerusalem University College
- Latin American Studies Program (Costa Rica)
- Middle East Studies Program (Egypt)
- Oxford Summer Programme (England)
- Paris Semester
- Russian Studies Program
- Scholars' Semester in Oxford (England)
- Semester in Spain
- Uganda Studies Program
- Participate in one of the many cross-cultural travel experiences sponsored by an Asbury University faculty member or department.
- Participate in an approved non-Asbury University program sponsored by a mission agency or local church.
- Participate in the Asbury Initiative Program.
- Prior international experience such as living in a cross-cultural setting or other appropriate cross-cultural experiences will be considered for approval on a case-by-case basis.