Campus renovations and improvements underway
WILMORE, KY—When students return in August, they will see a number of aesthetic changes and improvements to the Asbury College campus.
Reunion classes for the last three years funded a walking plaza adjacent to Hughes and are helping fund lighting for the soccer field, which will be installed during the next year. The Hughes plaza and patio is progressing on schedule. Crews have replaced the semi-circle and the installation of curved seat walls and drain lines are in progress.
In the spring, the board of trustees approved the transformation of Morrison-Kenyon Library into the Morrison-Kenyon Student Center. Student groups gave input to desired amenities and renovations began during the spring semester. To date, the foundation has been power washed and painting is completed. Carpentry, electrical, plumbing projects are underway as well as the coffee shop, window replacement and deck design. Crews are preparing to restore the concrete porches. Carpet and new furniture orders have been placed. The target completion date for the entire project is August 20.
As part of their senior class gift, the Class of 2007 is contributing to landscaping and a seating area between the cafeteria and the Morrison-Kenyon Student Center. The rough
excavation for the cafeteria patio is completed. Crews are now completing curved seat walls and the drain line installation. They are also laying out a cafeteria patio. The target completion date for this project is July 12.
- Coffee House: Solomon’s Porch of Wilmore has been granted the opportunity to run the coffee shop which will be in the center of the building in the lower ceiling area. Equipment and furniture are being designed and ordered.
- Student Governmentt and Class offices will be in the front (semi-circle side) of the building as well as a “schedulable” meeting room. Lockers for commuters will also be located in the front main level of the building.
- The Collegian will be moving from its present location (house behind science building) to the left side of the lobby outside the grille (old EC offices and commuter lounge).
- Art Gallery will be still upstairs in the grille on the right side of the lobby, but will be able to expand into the two offices previously occupied by student body president and secretary.
- Carpet has been ordered and will be placed in the offices in the Student Center and in the areas in the front half (semi circle side) and upstairs.
- Existing Terrazzo floors in the coffee house area and back (Kenyon room) will be cleaned and used. Area rugs will likely be used with furniture groupings
- Large front room (semi circle side) will be soft seating and tables and likely a small retail kiosk for visitors to buy t-shirts mugs etc.
- Back room (CPO side) will include soft seating areas and game table(s) (pool and/or ping pong). That room will also likely have a portable small stage for coffee houses etc., and we are looking at sound/video systems for media options.
- Upstairs, in middle of Student Center, will be seating area, game table(s) and area where student art can be displayed.
- A deck is being designed and will be built on the Reasoner side of the building making the middle area on that side another main entrance (also where handicapped access will be). We hope to put many tables/chairs outside on the deck to enjoy the sunshine and opportunity to relax outside.
- Wireless Internet should be available in most of the building.
- The exterior will be re-landscaped and foundation block has already been cleaned up and powerwashed.
- The front steps are being reconditioned and some being repoured and connected to the new landscape plaza.
- Interior painting is mostly completed (see the photo gallery for colors).
- Furniture has been ordered will be delivered by end of July. (Some areas like coffee house will have some leather furniture).
In addition, the Hager Administration Building and the central walk area are also receiving a little attention this summer with new landscaping and power washing. The old landscaping has been removed and the target completion date is July 31.
Contractors have also been hired to replace sections of sidewalk throughout campus. This project should be completed by August 20.
Visit http://www.asbury.edu/gallery/campus-upgrades/ to view campus upgrades and http://www.asbury.edu/gallery/morrison-kenyon-renovation/ to view the Morrison-Kenyon Student Center.