- School of Graduate and Professional Studies Home
- About GPS
- Spiritual Vitality
- Student Services
- Alumni & Partners
- GPS News
School Social Worker
A School Social Work Certification Track is available to students who are completing an MSW degree. Along with the MSW degree, this certification track enables individuals to work as social workers in the public school system.
Distinguishing Program Features
As a SACS accredited, top five ranked Regional College (South) by US News and World Report, the program combines distinguished academics and unique, real-world applications. The foundation for the MSW program at Asbury University is our belief that all people are called to a restored relationship of whole-hearted love for God, which will always be demonstrated socially in loving our neighbors wherever they are found: locally, nationally and globally.
The CSWE accredited Asbury University MSW program offers the Child and Family Services concentration that prepares students for advanced social work practice, supporting the needs of all persons to achieve their optimal God given potential.
Over 75 practicum sites (in a variety of urban and rural settings) are available to allow students the opportunity to personalize their education. In collaboration with Asbury University’s School of Education, the MSW Program offers a School Social Work Certification Track. To obtain School Social Work certification, the candidate must complete 15 semester hours, including 9 hours of coursework from the School of Education and 6 hours of field placement in two levels of schooling.
How the Program is Delivered
MSW students spend two days per week on campus. The remainder of the week - usually 18 to 20 hours - is spent off campus in field education.
How the Program will Benefit Me
Graduates will be prepared for theologically-informed, advanced social work practice in national and global contexts that are agency or church-based.
Program Admission Requirements
- Complete an application for admission.
- Completion of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- Official transcripts of all college/university coursework
- Complete character/fitness form, mission statement and autobiographical statement
- One of the following:
- Cumulative GPA of 2.75 on all undergraduate course work OR
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on last 60 hours of undergraduate course work OR
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on earned master’s degree
- Three professional references
- Completion of 3 credit hours each in: introduction to psychology; introduction to sociology; statistics; and 9 credit hours in humanities.
- Additional Advanced Standing Admission Requirements:
- BSW Final Field Evaluation - Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is submitted. (A copy of the final Field Evaluation Form is required once the field placement is completed.)
- Conceptual Framework Essay
(The Advanced Standing program consists of 39 semester hours and is normally completed in 11 – 18 months.)
Transfer Credit Information
Maximum of 12 transfered credit hours.
30 credit hours may be transfered from a CSWE program.
[ALL UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPTS, must be sent directly from that institution to the School of Graduate and Professional Studies of Asbury University. Hand-carried transcripts may be used for evaluation only. Hand-carried transcripts are NOT acceptable as final, official transcripts.]
Please visit the MSW webpage for more specific information regarding academic and program requirements.