- School of Graduate and Professional Studies Home
- About GPS
- Spiritual Vitality
- Student Services
- Alumni & Partners
- GPS News
Online Elementary Education Program
The online Elementary Education program is a degree completion and/or elementary teacher certification program designed to provide busy, working adults with an opportunity to complete a college degree online. As a SACS accredited, top five ranked Regional College (South) by US News and World Report, the program combines distinguished academics and unique, real world applications.
Distinguishing Online Program Features
Facilitators of Student Success
Facilitators of Student Success is the theme of the conceptual framework and teaching philosophy of the School of Education and guides all educator preparation programs. Asbury University educator preparation programs equip candidates with the knowledge and skills to guide 21st century learners, facilitate learning through mentoring models, and to guide P-5 student achievement.
Candidates model learner-based instruction, which emphasizes the value of each P-5 student’s achievement. The goal is to help every candidate in education "think like a teacher." The program, by incorporating authentic experiences and clinical practices, helps the candidate develope skills to design instruction, assess student learning, analyze student progress and achievement, diagnose learning needs, and prescribe for personalized learning plans. Two features define the types of clinical experiences in the program: (1) Course-Embedded school experiences with a range of authentic activities, and (2) Extended School Experiences in which each program contains multiple school-based experiences. Using these types of clinical experiences, candidates will become comfortable and confident in the P-5 (K-6, Florida) classroom by completing more than 200 hours in the field prior to student teaching.
School of Education programs emphasize moral and ethical strength and integrity, teaching and leading as a calling, and professional thinking as a demonstration of passion and enthusiasm for teaching. The dispositional framework of educator preparation programs is linked to facilitating student success.
School of Education faculty care about preparing highly-qualified educators. All of our education faculty have experience as P-5 (K-6, Florida) teachers and leaders, and bring real-world experience and professional expertise to the learning environment.
The Elementary Education program is offered in three delivery formats: online, face-to-face, and hybrid. Whether on campus or online, students participate in an interactive learning community. The convenience and flexibility of the program are geared specifically toward busy adult students. A collaborative and project-oriented learning environment provides students with an engaging experience that equips them with real skills for real classrooms.
The Elementary Education program may be completed by students who are pursuing an undergraduate degree and by students who have already earned an undergraduate degree. Students who have not yet earned a degree will complete the Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education. Students who have already earned a degree may complete the program requirements to earn licensure in elementary education. This program offers Kentucky licensure to candidates in Kentucky and other online students. Candidates who live in the state of Florida will receive Florida licensure.
How the Online Program is Delivered
Students can complete the degree or certification program choosing one of two approaches:
- Completely online through a highly sophisticated and interactive web-based learning environment. Courses include live, synchronous web-conferencing experiences that connect students to faculty and to each other. Project-based and collaborative activities provide an engaging learning experience that is highly relational. Students also benefit from interactions with distinguished practitioners from within the profession who connect with students virtually through the learning management system.
- Face-to-Face/Evening (Wilmore, KY campus) in a dynamic, campus-based learning environment. Project-based and collaborative activities provide an engaging learning experience that is highly-relational. Students also benefit from interactions with distinguished practitioners who interact with students in the learning space.
How the Online Program will Benefit Me
The teacher candidate will become a facilitator of student success, who responds to the needs of 21st century learners and creates transformative learning experiences. Students will complete the requirements necessary for P-5 (K-6, Florida) certification. Students will benefit from clinical experiences in multiple, diverse schools and exposure to different student groups. Through the program, students will have opportunities to connect with school leaders, educators and other key stakeholders.
Online Program Admissions Requirements
- Student must be 23 years of age or older.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 semester credit hours with a grade C or better from an accredited institution of higher learning. All students need to be aware that this is 124 hour degree program.
- Applicants must request each college or university previously attended to send an official transcript directly to the Asbury Adult Professional Studies Program office. Hand carried transcripts are not acceptable.
- Application form and non-refundable $35 application fee.
- Two satisfactory references--one from current or previous employer and one personal (non-family) reference. A web-based reference form may be submitted by those completing the reference.
- Complete the character and fitness form.
Visit the Adult Professional Studies Program page for more information regarding the admissions process.
[ALL TRANSCRIPTS, whether high school or University, must be sent directly from that institution to the Admissions Office of Asbury University. Hand-carried transcripts may be used for evaluation only. Hand-carried transcripts are NOT acceptable as final, official transcripts.]
Please visit the Education webpage for more specific information regarding academic and program requirements.