Asbury announces hire for reinstated softball program
By Heath Tingle, sports information director
WILMORE, KY- Asbury College is proud to announce Larry McCullough as the new head coach of the reinstated softball program set for first pitch in Spring 2009. McCullough will be the fifth head coach in Asbury's history, set to resume after the program was suspended after the 2003 season. The program will compete nationally in the NAIA and on the conference level with the KIAC.
"I expect the first years to be a challenge, but one that provides excitement and adventure," said McCullough upon his hiring. "We will be looking to involve not only the student body, but the community as well."
McCullough brings a resume that reflects his time in the central Kentucky area, having served as the head coach at East Jessamine from 2004-2006. The Jaguars qualified for the 12th Region tournament after finishing as district runner ups in each of McCullough's three seasons at the helm.
His experience extends beyond the school year as well, serving as the head coach for Kentucky Xanadu, a traveling select, girls fast-pitch team. The team captured the 2005 USSSA National Championship under his guidance. The team's participants have all received college scholarships or are current college players. Some have gone on to be head coaches at area high schools.
Before coaching, McCullough also served as a KHSAA umpire for eight seasons as well as working the collegiate level with the Mid South Conference. Outside of coaching he is a 27-year employee of the Lexington-Fayette County Urban Government, retiring from active service in 2004.
"McCullough is an important hire with his connections within the central Kentucky landscape of softball," said Asbury College Athletic Director, Gary Kempf. "Like our baseball program (reinstated in 2008), Larry should be able to attract kids that can thrive on the opportunity of instant playing time while putting their stamp on rebuilding a program."
Pertinent Facts about Larry McCullough:
- 2004-2006: Head Coach, East Jessamine High School, Nicholasville, Ky.
- 2003: Assistant Coach, East Jessamine High School
- 1998 to Present: Head Coach, Kentucky Xanadu (Under/Over 18 select team)
- 2005 USSSA National Champions with Xanadu
- 2002 Runners Up in the Blue Grass State Games with Xanadu
- 2001, 2002: Organized and administered 18 & under league at West Jessamine High School
- 2000: Organized and administered 18 & under league in Williamstown, Ky.
- 2000: Volunteer coach of the Scott County High School (Georgetown, Ky.) fast-pitch team