Reunion 2012: Stories to Tell
“Do you remember when…?”
“I’ll never forget the time we….”
The stories shared by Asbury University alumni — stories of adventure, victories and challenges — will take center stage on June 15-17 during “Reunion 2012: Stories to Tell.”
All alumni are invited to Wilmore, Ky., to tell their stories and continue to create new ones, with additional special events for banner-year classes ending in ’2 and ’7. Throughout the weekend, selected alumni recollections will be shared with the group (for information on submitting your favorite Asbury stories, see below).
JoAnn Spivey ’52 remembers moving into her dorm on her first sunny, late-summer day as a student at Asbury, though it was already a familiar place from having four sisters graduate from the school. A team of young men was on hand to help with luggage — a tradition that continues — and one of them ended up becoming a special friend and, eventually, a husband.
“In January, the boys dorm had an open house,” Spivey said. “When I got ready to go, Carl asked if he could walk me back to my dorm, and he hasn’t left my side since.”
In the decades since they graduated from Asbury, JoAnn and Carl have returned to campus for several reunions and anticipate a meaningful time of fellowship again this summer.
“It’s about friendship,” she said. “It’s just all of us getting together to share past experiences at Asbury and catch up about what’s gone on since.”
Some of the highlights of this year’s event include the following:
- An Evening with C.S. Lewis. Actor David Payne brings Lewis to life as he tells the stories of events and experiences that shaped his life, from Lewis’s point of view.
- Class receptions organized by decade to allow graduates from adjacent years to reconnect.
- Saturday morning Missions Chapel featuring Asbury alumni serving the Lord and his people overseas.
- A variety show of Asbury’s Top 10 stories, as well as the presentation of this year’s A Award winners.
- Activities for children that include swimming, games and crafts, as well as activities for high-school students.
To share your favorite Asbury stories, please e-mail Alumni Relations Director Carolyn Ridley at firstname.lastname@example.org or send your stories to Alumni Relations, One Macklem Dr., Wilmore, KY 40390. Registration information for “Reunion 2012: Stories to Tell” will be included in the Spring 2012 Ambassador and also available online by mid April.