Pre-Nursing Program restrictions
1. PNR Student completes the major requirements at Asbury. PNR majors transfer to an accredited 4-year school of nursing to complete the major and the AU degree by finishing one full-time year (30.0 hours) of nursing courses. These credits must be officially transferred back to Asbury University to receive an AU degree. Students must have 124.0 total hours to receive an AU degree.
2. PNR Student may not have a double major. If completing any other Asbury major the Pre-Nursing major will not be listed. Student will complete and graduate from Asbury University in the other major only. However, any student who is preparing to apply for nursing or medical schools should contact the Health Professions advisor about taking required pre-nursing or pre-medical courses outside their declared major.
3. Transfer course restrictions: 50% of the PNR major must be completed at Asbury University (minimum 33.0 major hours at Asbury) with the transferred nursing hours accounting for the other 50% of the major. If any of the below listed major courses are taken at other schools the student will be required to take additional Asbury University course hours in BIO, PSY, CHE, or SOC to account for the 50% at Asbury.
4. The 75.0 hours maximum transfer rule applies and includes the 30.0 nursing hours which limits all other transfer hours and institutional credit to 45 hours.
5. All Pre-Nursing students are reviewed at the end of the sophomore year (60.0 cumulative hours). After 2 years, students should have no grade below a "C" in all BIO and CHE courses, a minimum science GPA of 2.75, and a cumulative GPA of 2.75, in order to continue in the program.
6. Changing out of the PNR major - A student who decides not to pursue nursing needs to make this decision by their junior year to allow sufficient time to complete the courses needed for another major. Discuss major changes with the Health Professions advisor.
MAJOR REQUIREMENTS (65)
[Please indicate with (T) if requirement met by transfer course]
|___4||BIO||100+101||Biological Science or|
|___4||CHE||115+117||Chem for Health Sci|
|___3||SOC||100||Intro to Sociology|
|___3||PSY||315||Stat for Beh Science|
|MAT||232||Probability & Stat|
|(T)___30+ Credits transferred from an accredited four-year
school of nursing
Additional courses below can count towards the 33.0 hours of Asbury University PNR major credits in place of transfer courses.
|BIO||202+204||General Biology II|
|___4||BIO||372||Cell & Molecular Biology|
|___3||BIO||380||Scientific & Medical Terminology|
|___4||CHE||121/123||Gen College Chem I|
|___4||CHE||122/124||Gen College Chem II|
|___4||CHE||201||Organic Chem I|
|___4||CHE||202||Organic Chem II|
|___3||PSY||342||Cross Cultural Psychology|
|___3||SOC||230||Leading Groups & Organizations|
|___3||SOC||312||Issues in Intercultural Relations|
|___3||SOC||353||International Social Issues|
|___3||SOC||414||Perspectives on Aging|
PLUS FOUNDATIONAL COURSE REQUIREMENTS
PLUS ELECTIVES NEEDED FOR THE 124 HOUR DEGREE REQUIREMENT