Below are the steps necessary to complete an application to Asbury University’s Master of Social Work program. All of the steps must be completed no later than one month before the first day of the class in which you intend to enroll. Mail all documents to:
Office of MSW Studies
One Macklem Drive
Wilmore, KY 40390
- Please print, complete and mail this to the address below
- Please read this document before signing the MSW Mission Statement form.
- Please print, complete and mail to the address below
- We require an official transcript from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended. Please have these mailed directly to the address below.
- Please read the Autobiographical Statement form and then mail your statement to the address below or e-mail your statement to firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Three Letters of Recommendation
- Academic reference
- Work-related reference
- Character reference (not from a family member)
8. One of the following:
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on all undergraduate course work OR
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on last 60 hours of undergraduate course work, OR
- Cumulative grade point average of 3.00 on earned Master's degree
- Candidates not meeting any of the grade point average criteria above who have a cumulative undergraduate grade point average of 2.50-2.74 may apply for admission on a probational status. No more than 10% of the M.S.W. student population are students admitted on a probational status.
9. Complete all prerequisite requirements, OR have a plan to complete these requirements prior to entering the M.S.W. Program. The prerequisites are:
- 3 semester hours of introduction to psychology
- 3 semester hours of introduction to sociology
- 3 semester hours of statistics
- 9 semester hours in humanities
10. Possession of a valid driver's license and access to a car for transportation to field practicum location.
Additional Admission Requirements for the Advanced Standing Program
In order for applicants to be considered for admissions to the advanced standing program, they must meet the following minimal requirements:
1. Completed an undergraduate degree from a social work program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education, with an overall GPA of at least 3.25. CSWE requires that students have a plan to finish the MSW within ten years of completing a BSW from an accredited program to be eligible for advanced standing status.
2. Completed an undergraduate Statistics course. (Psychology and Sociology prerequisites not required for students with a BSW.)
4. Submit a copy of their Field Evaluation form OR a letter from the BSW Field Director if the student is currently in field placement and a field evaluation form is not available at the time the application is submitted. (A copy of the final Field Evaluation Form is required once the field placement is completed.)
Additional Admission Requirements for International Students
1. International students must take the TOEFL and score a minimum of 79 on the internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or 550 on the paper-based TOEFL before they can be admitted, with the exception of Canada, Great Britain, Australia, or New Zealand.
2. International Students must do a phone interview with a faculty member to assess English language skills, social work knowledge and program fit.
3. International students must submit a copy of their passport.
4. International Students must fill out the Statement of Financial Responsibility.