History of the Asbury University Equine Center
In 1978, the horsemanship class (REC 200) gathered in Professor Harold Rainwater's '69 backyard. Using his own five horses and time, he taught the students about horses. It was through this first class that Harold began dreaming of an Asbury University Equine Center.
In April 1997, a proposal to establish an equine program at Asbury University was accepted. The University had acquired a farm on Shanty Hill Lane in Wilmore and designated part of it to be used for the equine center. The land contained 341 acres of open fields and wooded hills. The program would operate on 115 acres near a tobacco and cattle barn that was built in the 1950's.
In January 1998, a riding ring was constructed. Classes started that spring semester, with the University's first physical education horseback riding class (PE 111). Harold's dream became a reality. In the fall of 2002, the University approved an Equine Management minor. Five years later in 2007, two equine majors were implemented: Equine Management and Hippotherapy.
The University owns about 35 donated horses that are used in classes and for training purposes. The facilities includes a black barn, which contains eleven stalls and an office, and a new indoor arena containing 14 stalls, a reception area, two classrooms, tack rooms, and restrooms.
More importantly, this farm has become a place where dreams come true and lives are touched. For some students, it is either a ministry tool or their connecting point. For others, it is their calling.